Handling hotter species.

BAM1082

Arachnoknight
The safest way to move a scorpion is propably cupping them. Basically get the critter to walk into a smooth sided cup that it can't get out of. If you have a lid you can use that as well. I'd also use clear plastic as well. In some cases, like a communal, aboreal tank, it might be better to use a set of ten inch tweezers to get ahold of the scorpion by the tail close to the body. Then move it to a cup being held over the tank in caes the critter drops.

JOhn
Thnxs.
Bammer.

Aschamne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No fear does not equal taking wild and reckless chances by free handling. A bite may or may not kill you, but at the very least, you are facing thousands in medical bills. Would you 'free handle' a wild tiger or elephant? You are taking the same risk.

And certainly, I would fear a bite. Ever heard of anaphylaxis?
To answer your first question, yes I would love to handle a wild tiger or elephant. As for your second yes I have heard of anaphylaxis, but I also know that it can be caused by the sting from the bees in my back yard. So are you just suggesting that people should lock themselves up and never go outside because of the small chance of dying from anaphylaxis. As I said before, everybody will die eventually so why not do the things that you enjoy while you are alive. If I were to die tomorrow, then I would at least know that I enjoyed the time I spent on this rock. I just would not see a point in living if I would have to spend my time in fear of things that can happen.

Art

BAM1082

Arachnoknight
I think the main point from this entire thread is that handling dangerous species of T's or Scrop. puts the entire hobby at risk.

Politicians take things out of hand. A few reports of morons killing themselves from scorpions would end up putting a lot of keepers who do handle with care in the line of fire.

And I agree that we do all die. Survival of the Fittest. By that last post Im guessing your gene pool will end sooner than later, if you take that kind of approach to risk.

saxman146

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
And I agree that we do all die. Survival of the Fittest. By that last post Im guessing your gene pool will end sooner than later, if you take that kind of approach to risk.
Yep. That pretty much sums it all up right there. Thanks for that.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So did you or did you not handle them?I am starting to think that you are nothing but a great big phony!
Read his post. There is a difference from handling and free handling. If I cup a scorpion in order to move it it is much different than using my finger to grab it by it's tail. In short free handling is using your hands to handle and animal. Useing a tube or catch box to handle snakes doesn't put you any where near the risk of free handling. I think that's what ptviperz is saying. He was using two different terms, handling and free handling.

John

flyguycolorado

Arachnopeon
Just a note

My questions- if you have the possibility of being stung and being killed then why not get rid of "hot" species then? ?even for those who don't handle them. Why even have something that could kill you? If it’s that unsafe even for those who don't handle/responsible keepers "could" be stung; accidents do happen...I think hotts should be Bann across the board, it only takes one person to mess it up for the whole group. Just my opinion.... :rolleyes:

sfpearl300z

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My questions- if you have the possibility of being stung and being killed then why not get rid of "hot" species then? ?even for those who don't handle them. Why even have something that could kill you? If it’s that unsafe even for those who don't handle/responsible keepers "could" be stung; accidents do happen...I think hotts should be Bann across the board, it only takes one person to mess it up for the whole group. Just my opinion.... :rolleyes:
YES!!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!! PROTECT ME FROM MYSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:rolleyes:

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer

First of all, a Hot scorpionis no danger to anyone of it is properly house and maintained. The only way they would ever be loose and running around is if someone purposly let them out. I use tongs and cups to move them if needed. I guess if an Airplane crashes into my house they might get free.

Secondly, I'd rather not have the government go down this path. There are so many things more dangerous than a hot scorpion. Where would they stop. I do feel that handling hot scorpions nominates you for the Darwin Award. Maybe a licence like they do for cars, but look at all the idiot drivers. The bottom line is we can't protect fools from themselves.

john

venomous.com

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Read his post. There is a difference from handling and free handling. If I cup a scorpion in order to move it it is much different than using my finger to grab it by it's tail. In short free handling is using your hands to handle and animal. Useing a tube or catch box to handle snakes doesn't put you any where near the risk of free handling. I think that's what ptviperz is saying. He was using two different terms, handling and free handling.
Thanks John, that's exactly what I was saying. Using hideboxes, hooks, tubing, etc is how you can safely 'handle' these guys. You could still have an accident and be envenomated but at least you minimize your risks as much as possible.

Last edited:

venomous.com

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
As for your second yes I have heard of anaphylaxis, but I also know that it can be caused by the sting from the bees in my back yard.
Hi Art,

Just so you know, keeping venomous snakes exposes you to venom by simply doing regular maintenance which greatly heightens the chance of being overly-sensitive in case of a bite. It's a bigger issue the longer you've kept 'hots' because you've been exposed to more venom.

Probably not applicable to scorps but I don't know that for sure.

I knew of a guy in Canada who got tagged by cobra. He called 911, got his antivenin from the freezer, walked outside to wait for the ambulance and died before it got there. Anaphylaxis is no joke