Half her hydraulics broken?

Laura S

Arachnopeon
Hi all,
New posting here, would love your thoughts. I found an injured spider in our sink last night, and can’t decide if she can be helped or wants to pass on, or some third option. Her right side legs all work fine, but her left four leg stick STRAIGHT up. The hydraulics in them must be broken somehow.

It breaks my heart. I tried gently flexing her legs back into place with a small paintbrush, but they just go back up again. She can’t walk, so I assume (?) can’t spin, and can’t eat?

What would you do? She’s just a sad pretty lady. I don’t want her to suffer, but hate the idea of killing her. Currently she’s resting in my aloe plant. She was on a damp napkin but dragged herself off it last night.

Thank you,
Laura

Attachments

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
New posting here, would love your thoughts. I found an injured spider in our sink last night, and can’t decide if she can be helped or wants to pass on, or some third option. Her right side legs all work fine, but her left four leg stick STRAIGHT up. The hydraulics in them must be broken somehow.
I'm wondering if the left legs are injured or didn't molt properly. (If it were just a hydraulic issue, I'd expect the legs to be curled inward, not sticking straight up.) If they are too much of a hindrance, she may drop them.

What would you do? She’s just a sad pretty lady. I don’t want her to suffer, but hate the idea of killing her. Currently she’s resting in my aloe plant. She was on a damp napkin but dragged herself off it last night.
The best you can do is make her comfortable and wait. Make sure she has access to water. You can try feeding her weakened prey, although as an agelenid, she might not take it outside her web.

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
Don't worry, the spider doesn't mind one way or the other.

Laura S

Arachnopeon
Thanks for your thoughts, all. Yes, to confirm, she is most definitely injured—she was found in the bottom of our kitchen sink like this as my husband was doing dishes.

She’s still resting in the aloe plant pot, all four left legs still stuck straight up. She has a tiny bottle cap of water, but obviously it’s difficult for her to move at all. I offered her a little damp end of a paintbrush, and she attacked it as best she could. I’m sure she’s hungry, but not many bugs here amid the snow.

Any thoughts on finding a buggy victim for her to eat? I have live mealworms for my birds, but they are much bigger than her.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Any thoughts on finding a buggy victim for her to eat? I have live mealworms for my birds, but they are much bigger than her.
You could try cutting one in half and seeing if she'll scavenge. (Remove any uneaten prey 24 hours later.)