1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hairy snails

Discussion in 'Insects, Other Invertebrates & Arthropods' started by doom, Mar 19, 2012.

1. doom

doom Arachnoknight

Advertisement
    Hey!

Do you know what is this on the shell? I have never seen this.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Zoltan

Zoltan Cult Leader

According to G. M. Barker's The biology of terrestrial molluscs (CABI, 2001, 558 pp.):

"Periostracal hair-like or scale-like processes are not uncommon in a number of stylommatophoran families. A number of hypotheses have been advanced for the functional role of these periostracal processes, including: (i) ‘to repel moist particles’ (Solem, 1974) and prevent wet leaves from adhering to the shell; (ii) to defend against predators (Webb, 1950); and (iii) to camouflage the shell by trapping soil and debris (Pilsbry, 1940). These hypotheses are yet to be tested."

I also found this open-access article:

Pfenninger, M., M. Hrabáková, D. Steinke & A. Dèpraz. Why do snails have hairs? A Bayesian inference of character evolution. BMC Evolutionary Biology 2005, 5:59. DOI: 10.1186/1471-2148-5-59

• Like Like x 1
  3. Galapoheros

Galapoheros ArachnoGod Old Timer

Whoa!, that's new to me, never seen that before either. Are those native?, do all specimens of the same species have those hair-like growths? If so, I'd say it's for defense also imo.

4. doom

doom Arachnoknight

Yes, they are native to and found in Slovenia.

5. hotflakes2

hotflakes2 Arachnosquire

Now those gave me the creeps. It would be cool if those were spikes. :)