Haired by B. Boehmei

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Vicious hairs, hmm.. that tattoo on your right arm Rourke..it reminds me of a story I read many times as a kid..I can't recall what the name of the book is, however.

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Vys said:
Vicious hairs, hmm.. that tattoo on your right arm Rourke..it reminds me of a story I read many times as a kid..I can't recall what the name of the book is, however.

Where the Wild Things Are
By Maurice Sendak

Was one of my favorites, and I read it to the boys now.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have also found the reactions get worse over time. When I first started keeping tees 12 years ago I never had any reactions at all, but recently I've had reactions to B. boehmei that have left my wrists permanently scarred from the scratching. The topical benadryl cream and spray doesn't do crap for me, but the Band Aid brand "First Aid Anti-Itch Gel" (formerly known as "Rhuligel") seems to help. It may be that the cream itself stings (especially if it's already raw from scratching) which distracts from the itching.

Oral anti-histamines (Benadryl TABLETS) DO seem to work, at least for me. The bad news is, when they say "may cause drowsiness" they ain't kidding. I only take it if I'm practiacy in bed already, otherwise I'm libale to wake up on the spideroom floor.

There's a new OTC version of Claratin that's made especially for itching skin and hives that does not cause drowsiness. I tried it once, and it seemed to work, but it will need a few more field trials before I can wholeheartedly recommend it.

Wade

Elson

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
wow..that sux , go and seek for medical treatment..."cool spider" :D

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Question:

After you are haired badly, what does it look like?
More specifically, do hard blisters form underneath the surface of your skin?

Because if not, I had better get on a waiting list to see a doctor!

They are not painful, but by far, without doubt, is the itchiest sensation I have ever had the displeasure of experiencing.

The affected area is on my palm, near the wrist, and is almost raw from rubbing it on rough surfaces. And - its painful to do that of course, but at least it distracts, for a few seconds, from the terrible itch. Then the need re-surfaces after about 30 seconds...

Rourke

ArachnoProletariat
Old Timer
sheri said:
Question:

After you are haired badly, what does it look like?
More specifically, do hard blisters form underneath the surface of your skin?

Because if not, I had better get on a waiting list to see a doctor!

They are not painful, but by far, without doubt, is the itchiest sensation I have ever had the displeasure of experiencing.

The affected area is on my palm, near the wrist, and is almost raw from rubbing it on rough surfaces. And - its painful to do that of course, but at least it distracts, for a few seconds, from the terrible itch. Then the need re-surfaces after about 30 seconds...
HAHA...yes! That's exactly it. I get blisters on palms and fingertips...little tiny clear ones, and some of them are painful. But mostly just itchy. Drive you nuts, though, huh?! If it's just the hands, I can tolerate it. When it gets bad, try running them under water as hot as you can possibly stand for 30 seconds, then promptly submerge in icewater. Don't know why, but that works for me. Relief without scratching, and it lasts longer.

So, should we look in the "For Sale" forum for all of your beautiful Brachypelmas? :)

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Mr. Rourke said:
HAHA...yes! That's exactly it. I get blisters on palms and fingertips...little tiny clear ones, and some of them are painful. But mostly just itchy. Drive you nuts, though, huh?! If it's just the hands, I can tolerate it. When it gets bad, try running them under water as hot as you can possibly stand for 30 seconds, then promptly submerge in icewater. Don't know why, but that works for me. Relief without scratching, and it lasts longer.

So, should we look in the "For Sale" forum for all of your beautiful Brachypelmas? :)

I think these are blondi hairs, but really, if you saw how my T's are set up all over the house, you would know I cannot possibly narrow it down any.
I love my HK'ers - will take a lot more of this to make me give up!

One more question - when you say tiny clear blisters, are they actually sitting on top of your skin, like with a burn?
Or are they more like just under the surface of the skin, like you can feel them there, but you can't touch them directly... I can just make out white circular blisters under... This is really the damnest thing!

Rourke

ArachnoProletariat
Old Timer
sheri said:
I think these are blondi hairs, but really, if you saw how my T's are set up all over the house, you would know I cannot possibly narrow it down any.
I love my HK'ers - will take a lot more of this to make me give up!
Like another 5 years or so of sensitization!

sheri said:
One more question - when you say tiny clear blisters, are they actually sitting on top of your skin, like with a burn?
Or are they more like just under the surface of the skin, like you can feel them there, but you can't touch them directly... I can just make out white circular blisters under... This is really the damnest thing!
Definitely under. And the ones that get the closest to the surface are the ones that actually hurt.

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Mr. Rourke said:
Like another 5 years or so of sensitization!

Definitely under. And the ones that get the closest to the surface are the ones that actually hurt.
Well, since they are already driving me crazy, I may as well attempt at handling one again tonight...

Strike while the hand is still itchy, my new mantra.

Rourke

ArachnoProletariat
Old Timer
sheri said:
Well, since they are already driving me crazy, I may as well attempt at handling one again tonight...

Strike while the hand is still itchy, my new mantra.
If I recall correctly, you only recently handled a tarantula for the first time?? If you do again, I presume you will post pictures.... :D

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Mr. Rourke said:
If I recall correctly, you only recently handled a tarantula for the first time?? If you do again, I presume you will post pictures.... :D

Yes, but I had help, so doing it by myself is a whole other thing.
Yet another one of those "things" that needs to be done.
Pics of course!

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Hmmm, NOW I know why I prefer handling my OW Ts!! :D

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
MizM said:
You mean other then you get to tease them on how they missed and to strike faster next time when yer getting them out?
Or maybe you mean when your shocking everyone on these forums by holding the *caugh* aggressive t's? lol

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Malhavoc's said:
You mean other then you get to tease them on how they missed and to strike faster next time when yer getting them out?
Or maybe you mean when your shocking everyone on these forums by holding the *caugh* aggressive t's? lol

NO, because they don't flick aggravating, itchy HAIRS on me!!! YOU are the thrill seeker who kisses his trap door spiders!!! {D

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yes but see how far my toxic kisses got me.. now I'm one red trap door short..damn.. btw I did jsut recently kiss the fangs of the obt I brought over to you.. I was cleaning its tank and jsut decided to give it a kiss [it was trying to threat pose me lol] and what itchy agrivating hairs.. oh you mean when I make your red knee do circles trying to hit me with those lil dust clouds... lol

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
BTw terri, check out my forsale thread. Soemthign special for ya!:)

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
MizM said:

OW is becoming more and more attractive, by the hour. Possibly by the minute, or at the very least, every time I scratch so hard that it almost bleeds! I have three OW coming next week, but I have so many stunning and rare NW that I know I will put up with the itching - I would need more potent motivation than this to get rid of them!

Damn, this sucks!
Terri you are so right, we should have kept our mouths shut!!!

Last edited:

metzgerzoo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Oh man, just reading this thread makes me itch! I guess I should count my lucky stars that Hubby and I are more into the OW but...as it would figure...I have a fondness for the Brachys. :D

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Tell me something...is it RARE for someone like me NOT to be sensitive to uritcating hairs? It seems to me that most people have at least some noticeable reaction, so am I just one of a lucky few, or what? It's odd, since I'm allergic to just about everything else!

pitbulllady

Rourke

ArachnoProletariat
Old Timer
pitbulllady said:
Tell me something...is it RARE for someone like me NOT to be sensitive to uritcating hairs? It seems to me that most people have at least some noticeable reaction, so am I just one of a lucky few, or what? It's odd, since I'm allergic to just about everything else!

pitbulllady
I'll tell you one thing: you have almost certainly just sensitized yourself merely by posting that claim!! {D