Haementeria ghilianii (giant leech)

TroyMcClureOG82

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

That's just nasty. Anybody ever encounter one of these bad boys? What kind of damage can something like that inflict???

ghost_tomb

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i don't know anything about it but I WANT ONE.

very cool:)

that is one big leech, must take alot of blood.

anyone here know how to keep leechs?

*runs off to google*

Spaceman_Spiff

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't know how to keep this species but Hirudo medicinalis can be kept several month in the fridge (up to a year) after being fed.
For those who want to disgust guests it's a great pet! {D

Bernhard

MilkmanWes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Bet a nice chunk of fresh raw beef liver would be a tastey treat for them.

Malkavian

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Is that how you feed those? With organ meat thats likely to still have some blood in it?

I had this mental image of giving an eight inch leech a little mouse to slurp on

MilkmanWes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Malkavian said:
Is that how you feed those? With organ meat thats likely to still have some blood in it?

I had this mental image of giving an eight inch leech a little mouse to slurp on
Don't know, but fresh beef liver is lke a blood sponge and easily obtained from a butcher, so it seems likely that it would provide them with what they want. They live in water and wet places so they probably feed on fish so maybe a live fingerling bait fish. Mice could fight back and hurt the leech.

ghost_tomb

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
anyone know where i can get a leech in the uk and are they active in their tank??

Spaceman_Spiff

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ghost_tomb said:
anyone know where i can get a leech in the uk and are they active in their tank??
I think you can order Hirudo medicinalis at your local pharmacy, it is at least worth a try.
It is very interresting to watch them swim and climb the walls.
We've had some at my university for disection a while ago, interresting creatures, they even have some nice light green and orange stripes!

greetings
Bernhard

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
wow that's a monster leech, the biggest one i've ever seen back home is only 3"
the onlt thing i knew about them is they can flick themselves or move themselves so fast just like spring when they sense the heat!

Atrax robustus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just talked to a friend who’s a pharmacist and she ordered a couple of medicinal leeches for someone (or some company) and they were around £200 a pair!! something to do with the fact that they have to be sterile.
I've wanted to keep them for sometime (they have got to be the coolist thing to watch swimming) but at those prices I dread to think what the cost of the giant ones would be.
AR.

mantid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow thats expensive that would be awesome to own one though think of all the blood it would drink. It could probably drink you dry in a couple of hours...