Hadrurus Spadix Problem

SeanCasey

Arachnopeon
Hadrurus Spadix Problem (Updated with Pics - possible mycosis?)

I think my H. Spadix is dying. It hasn't eaten for about a week (which alone I would not have given a second thought to it), has not go into its burrow for about 4 days, has not tried digging a new burrow at all, and has been moving very awkwardly for the last 4 days or so. When it moved around it would drag the first 3 sections of its metasoma flat (the remaing sections up) and carry its pedipalps directly infront of its chelicerae (think a boxer holding his fists infront of his pace).

The last time the scorpion ate, after stinging its prey it layed its tail flat for about a minute as if it took an termendous amount of energy to do so.

Its enclosure was about 5-6 inches of sand with a semi burried rock hide that the scrop used as a burrow.

Temperature was probably rearely if ever below 80 and never above 90 (typical temperatures around 80-85)

Seeing the the scorp was actign strange I provided a small amount of water for the scorp in a bottle cap, which the scorp entirely ignored so I removed it after a few hours.

TODAY:
Very little movement (but still alive), tail is completely flat except telson, tail is also extremely rigid (about as resitant to moving as a paperclip)

I can't figure out what would cause thise behavior. I have had it for just under a month and the whole time the scorp has been very active. It has only been fed store bought prey (I would NEVER feed wild caught prey).

My S. Mesaenesis and A. Austrailis are both doing well and my S. Mesaensis is in a duplicate enclosure sitting right next the Spadix. The only difference is that the Spadix's enclosure came with a half sealed top (half screen, half fixed position glass). I did notice by feeling with my hand that half of the Spadix's enclosure was noticeably warmer (about 5 degrees warmer or so is my guess, not measurement was taken). I thought perhaps the scorp was getting overheated so I have moved it into a cooler room to see if that makes any difference.

----------------UPDATE---------------
Ok, so it died. I pretty much expected it based off of its behavior, but the H. Spadix is one of my favorites.

Now, here is where is gets a litle more interesting. When I was pulling it out I noticed one side of the scorp was really "black" and protruding from the side a bit. So now I wonder if this was mycosis or some other type of problem or nothing? I looked at my two other desert species (S. Mesaensis and A. Austrailis) and neither of those have any black on their sides.

I attached two pictures (same picture but slightly different focus points)

Last edited:

Raan_Jodus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
well assuming you got it as a WC full grown adult...you never know how long they will last. When it last stung is prey did it have a hard time hitting it?

I remember mine went down like a champ....died with a cricket in his mouth :)