Hadrurus Arizonensis & new substrate/enclosure

brolloks

Arachnobaron
Beautiful looking enclosure you have there. Do you have the light on a timer?

stingray

Arachnobaron
Like you took a shovel and scooped up a shovel full of its natural habitat and placed it in the enclosure. Fantastic job!

RMJ

Arachnosquire
Beautiful looking enclosure you have there. Do you have the light on a timer?
@brolloks Thank you!, yes the LED light is on a timer, the IR Lamp and Black light are on independent switches :)

Wow beautiful job, what ratio of clay/sand did you use?
@NoLimits8 Thank you too!, Its about 30% Clay and the rest was a mix of White Chihuahuan Desert Sand with gravel/stones etc

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It's always refreshing to see a desert masterpiece. Nice tropical vivs are a dime a dozen but very well done desert ones are a lot rarer. Good job.

RMJ

Arachnosquire
It's always refreshing to see a desert masterpiece. Nice tropical vivs are a dime a dozen but very well done desert ones are a lot rarer. Good job.
A masterpiece! why thank you! I agree about the ratio of well done desert vivs vs tropical!

Ill post some pics up later of the tunnels that these guys have created! I wish I had 6ft depth substrate to see them carry on!

brolloks

Arachnobaron
Maybe we should get a Scorpion Enclosure Picture Thread going similar to the Scorpion Picture Thread?

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
A masterpiece! why thank you! I agree about the ratio of well done desert vivs vs tropical!

Ill post some pics up later of the tunnels that these guys have created! I wish I had 6ft depth substrate to see them carry on!
I live where these guys are from and your creation looks like a piece of somewhere I've walked through before.

Hmmmm... *imagines an 6'+ H. arizonensis enclosure*

RMJ

Arachnosquire
I live where these guys are from and your creation looks like a piece of somewhere I've walked through before.

Hmmmm... *imagines an 6'+ H. arizonensis enclosure*
I must admit after doing this vivarium, I am seriously tempted to do a larger one, like triple if not quadruple the size :p

DreamWeaver8

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What are the dimensions of the enclosure you are using and do you have multiple H. arizonensis in there? I'm curious because after seeing this and the fact that the desert hairy is my favorite species I've become determined to build a hyper-realistic enclosure for mine.

RMJ

Arachnosquire
What are the dimensions of the enclosure you are using and do you have multiple H. arizonensis in there? I'm curious because after seeing this and the fact that the desert hairy is my favorite species I've become determined to build a hyper-realistic enclosure for mine.
@DreamWeaver8 50cm x 30cm x 30cm and there are 2 H. Arizonensis living in there in quite a complex of caves and tunnels. Im lucky that both my scorpions are very active and out on display regularly.

DreamWeaver8

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok thanks, sounds like about the same dimensions as a 10gal, very nice background as well. Do you know if they are adults and is that a live plant? Sorry for all the questions but I absolutely love the enclosure and how natural it looks and I'm going to do something similar in the near future.

RMJ

Arachnosquire
Ok thanks, sounds like about the same dimensions as a 10gal, very nice background as well. Do you know if they are adults and is that a live plant? Sorry for all the questions but I absolutely love the enclosure and how natural it looks and I'm going to do something similar in the near future.
They are adults so no need to really worry about moulting being on the cards, I just keep a level feeding regime.

The plant is real yes, it's a Harworthia limefolia.

The tank is just over 10 us gal, the only thing I had done by someone else is the back ground and cutting/building the glass tank/doors.

Fire away with the questions, I enjoy talking to people who appreciate these things! And share the passion for inverts :)

DreamWeaver8

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for all the info and help, you seem like a H. arizonensis enthusiast. As I've said this is by far my favorite invert species to keep so I have a lot of ideas for enclosures and care.

RMJ

Arachnosquire
Now that would be awesome to see!
If I do anything like this it will have to wait, Ive just designed and in the process of building my new Bioactive Boa constrictor vivarium :), have a pool, river, caves etc to put into this one so that will take us through to September easily! Ill post some pics up when its done, I am sure members will appreciate even with it being a reptile 'habitat'