Hadogenes Troglodytes Community

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well, im getting a 7 inch flat rock, that is supposedly gravid, sometime soon. Im thinking of taking 5-6 of the babies and putting them in a large tank, and watching them grow over the course of their life. Im just wondering how much space 5-6 troglodytes will need, and what other accessories and decor they will like.

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Five to six Hadogenes troglodytes would require more space than most people in the hobby can afford, due to their well known behavior of cannibalization while being kept with others. Often, even adult pairs will result in a single death in as large as a 20 gal long enclosure. I have heard of extreme aggression between a pair in as large as a 55 gal std, though both of them are luckily still alive (most likely because the male still has room to run and hide from the female).

adios,
edw. ;)

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
hmm. I guess I better go with emps or spinifers instead

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Good idea. H. spinifers are my personal favorite of the two, due to the fact that Heterometrus have a tendency to be more active at night. They are definitely just as impressive when it comes to their average size. I have heard of them measuring at 7 3/4 inches, maximum, correctly measured, so they are not shy in the slightest bit there. I personally keep a group of around fifteen, mostly adults, some juvs. Not to mention, they are quite attractive in the lines of glossy scorpions, unlike the originally desired, Hadogenes troglodytes, which can be very dull in coloration and more or less, difficult to see in a well planned out enclosure. Good luck with whatever choice you make.

adios,
edw. ;)

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
OK. I have my enclosure all set up, and I put my adult emp in as a little test subject. Looking at it, my 20 gallon long should house 6-7 4 inch specimens. And maybe in a year, I will have scorplings. So here is what my place consists of

Substrate: 4 inch layer of peat

I have 2 water dishes, and 5-6 hiding spots. Im gonna put in a heat pad in a few days, once I have my scorps.

I cant wait. Communal setups are a ton cooler than just keeping a single specimen.

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Indeed they are. I kept my female adult alone in a twenty long, due to the fact that she was gravid when I obtained her. She gave birth to a helping of over thirty and shortly after they came off her back, I placed them all in a seventy-five gallon tank with others. It's pretty well packed out, but there are a huge number of places to burrow and I have never seen any of them in any spouts, so I know I need not worry whether I will wake up with one having eaten another. Besides, they eat huge amounts of crickets! I do think you'll enjoy a community of H. spinifers as much as any species could be enjoyed.

adios,
edw.

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
yeah, i decided on emps over spinifers, because they were half the price. My one adult seems to really like the enclosure so far. She has begun a burrow, but i think I might add some more peat, because now it looks like there is only 2 inches of substrate, and I dont want them digging to the glass.