Habitat for a 1" Grammostola pulchra?

laservet

Arachnopeon
Given the issues my GBB sling is having I want to start out on the right foot with a G pulchra that should arrive early this week. Deep substrate so it can burrow? Don't know how deep the slings burrow, cage is a Jamie's Ts juvenile terrestrial, half full enough? Does it need any hide at all? One leaf sufficient?

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Not familiar with that enclosure, I normally use deli cups and set up my T’s like this:
52AA1330-37B8-4D81-87A8-03441CEFFF9B.jpeg

What are the dimensions of the enclosure? So we can give advice as to how much substrate to put in.

RonC

Arachnopeon
Jamie will give you enough substrate to about half fill your enclosure. Should be enough. My G. pulchripes burrowed about an inch and a half into its substrate. Didn't go completely to the bottom.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You want there to be enough substrate that the sling doesn't have more than 2x it's leg span in height from the top of the sub to the lid (I am a little more generous with slings on the height... 1.5x is recommended usually).

Provide a little hide/starter burrow and decorate to your liking. G. pulchra aren't known for being major burrowers.

boina

Lady of the mites
As others have said G. pulchra burrows will usually be shallow, so you don't need that much substrate. They are big movers, though, and like to redecorate. Once they are a bit bigger they will appreciate a little more space so they can follow their bulldozing tendencies and move the earth ;). I always provide a hide - no tarantula goes without. As slings all my 3 G. pulchras made extensive use of it.

Go easy on the moisture, they don't like it. Even as 1" slings they don't need much, no more than half moist/half dry.

RonC

Arachnopeon
Got my G. pulchra yesterday. Sat there for about 5 minutes and then burrowed. Out roaming the enclosure this morning.

laservet

Arachnopeon
Eats three pinhead B lateralis every feeding.

It eats 3 pinhead B lateralis every feeding. One of my hobbies is macrophotography but tried my DSLR with the macro lens for video for the first time.

Last edited by a moderator:

laservet

Arachnopeon
Here's a video showing the underside of the sling as it snatches and fangs the roach:

Daesu

Arachnopeon
My G. pulchra was basically was a burrowing beast for about the first 6 months i had it, 6 or so inches of sub and it burrowed right to the bottom and stayed there.