H. Spinifer post-molt questions

GenXtra

Arachnopeon
This is my 1st scorpion, had it for 3.5 weeks now & it molted this past Thursday night. I'm not sure what instar it would be, hence the photo of it next to a water bottle cap for scale if anyone can help with that determination I would appreciate it.

Am I correct in assuming that it is best to wait 4 or 5 days before feeding?

Also due to the winter temps, the average in the room is about 70-72F, is this sufficient for this species? I have been keeping the substrate moist & water topped off.

Since I got him he was pretty lethargic, refusing to eat, but now he's full of piss 'n vinegar patrolling his perimeter. Looking forward to seeing him hunt & grow.

scorpling.jpg

LeFanDesBugs

Arachnobaron
You should definitely up the temps to the mid-80s.
Very nice scorpion. You should indeed wait for a week or so before attempting to feed your animal :)

GenXtra

Arachnopeon
You should definitely up the temps to the mid-80s.
Very nice scorpion. You should indeed wait for a week or so before attempting to feed your animal :)
Short of an incendiary grenade, I can't get it close to those temps. Already using a space heater to raise it to where its at now.
In one of the stickies, there's a link to a "scorpion hot box" which is what I assume a means to house in warmer temps, but it's a dead link.
Any suggestions, maybe from those in the colder regions?

I'll feed it a cricket Tuesday evening then.

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
Your scorp appears to be either 3i or 4i based on the pic.
You could try a heat mat on a side of its tank or a small infrared bulb to add extra heat for the little gal or guy.

As far as how long to wait to feed it again... some will eat in 4-5 days after a molt and some can take 2 weeks + before they're ready to eat again. Usually the colder they're kept - the longer it takes for them to be ready to eat after a molt.

LeFanDesBugs

Arachnobaron
Well, honestly, anywhere from 23 celsius all the way up to 30 should be fine. I'm keeping mine at 29°c and they are doing well. The temperature difference should only have an effect on the animals' metabolism and activity.

GenXtra

Arachnopeon
Thanks guys for your input. I'm gonna have to try something with heat mat/tape within a bookcase. My T-slings will benefit as well and so will my pocket as cranking this damn space heater isn't too efficient.