H spinifer- communal or not?

Garetyl

Arachnoknight
Sssso, I got a second one of these little guys today. They're from the same clutch, and are set up in their own enclosures.

While I was looking up information, some of the info I found said that they were indeed communal? Is this true? Wouldn't it be dangerous to house them together, especially during a moult, when they're most vulnerable?

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Sssso, I got a second one of these little guys today. They're from the same clutch, and are set up in their own enclosures.

While I was looking up information, some of the info I found said that they were indeed communal? Is this true? Wouldn't it be dangerous to house them together, especially during a moult, when they're most vulnerable?
If the are the same species, same size and from the same clutch you shouldn't have any problems. If you have 2 scorpions, at least 3 hides and keep the scorpions well fed.

Garetyl

Arachnoknight
If the are the same species, same size and from the same clutch you shouldn't have any problems. If you have 2 scorpions, at least 3 hides and keep the scorpions well fed.
Yes, but isn't cohabitation dangerous? Especially during moulting?

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Yes, but isn't cohabitation dangerous? Especially during moulting?
No- if a scorpion is going to eat another it won't wait until it molts, it will attack then eat. Other inverts like crickets, mealworms and some isopods will take on a molting scorpion though.

CamoRhino

Arachnopeon
I say yes. I have successfully kept ten in one tank. The oly issue i feel is keeping breeding under control. I have an emty brood tank which i pu gravid females in when they are about to pop. Space and number of hide is the important thing to keep in mind. Alway keep them very well fed and you wont have a cannibalism issue. Good luck

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Heterometrus from the humid regions (laoticus, petersii, spinifer, longimanus) do very well in communal setups

In my experience, they grow faster in groups than alone, and I have seen 0 instances of cannibalism in Heterometrus babies or adults
However, I separate my adult females when they are pregnant - a risk factor as mentioned by CamoRhino!