1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

H. spinifer (Asian Forest) Breeding Questions

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by MES, Oct 9, 2018.

1. MES

MES Arachnosquire Active Member

Utah
    Advertisement
    Hello!
    I recently purchased a mature female H. spinifer at my local reptile expo. I am considering breeding her (possibly buying or borrowing a male), but I can't find any info about it. Can anyone tell me exactly what I need to do to successfully breed her?
    Thank you!
    PS - here is a recent picture of her and one with some of the brood she had a few months ago! IMG_20181006_163904927.jpg FB_IMG_1538866671758.jpg

2. pannaking22

pannaking22 Arachnoking Active Member

Make sure she's well fed before introducing the male and provide extra hiding spots so they can hide in their own spots if they decide they don't really want to play nicely. You'll also need a flat surface for the male to place his spermatophore on.

3. MES

Utah
    Thanks so much! Yeah, for sure I'll feed her, I don't want any dead males, haha! Additional questions I thought of though, if she's in a ten gallon tank, should I breed them in a larger tank/bin so they can have their own space? Also, should they always be supervised when they are together? If I witness successful breeding or a breeding attempt, should I separate them and try to breed them again later? If I do supervised them, how long should I wait before possibly separating them and trying again later? Sorry, tons of new questions!
    Thanks so much!

4. pannaking22

pannaking22 Arachnoking Active Member

Your 10gal should be fine, just put another hide or two in and it should be good to go. I would advise supervising while you can, but don't be too surprised if nothing happens while you're watching. Sometimes they wait until late at night to do anything. You can pull the male the next morning then, especially if you see a spermatophore on the flat mating surface. If you aren't sure if they mated, reintroduce the male a couple weeks later and see how the female acts. If she seems receptive you can leave him, aggressive and she may be gravid. Watch how she behaves too. If she's spending lots of time with her belly up against whatever you're heating her with, that's a good sign. Same with drinking a lot more.

5. MES

Utah
    Ok, thanks so much! I really appreciate all the info!

6. Also, this is a H. petersii, not H. spinifer.

7. MES

Utah
    Oh really? Thanks for letting me know! What are the features on her that make her H. petersii and not H. spinifer?

8. Sorry for the late reply.

There are four species of Heterometrus in the hobby that look extremely similar to each other (though H. petersii is by far the most common).

H. petersii and H. laoticus have dark telsons, rounder chela, and dorsal keels on the 5th metasomal segment that consist of relatively minute granules, while H. spinifer and H. longimanus usually have telsons that are lighter than their metasomas (usually red in adults, and various shades ofyellow/orange as juveniles), narrower chela, and dorsal keels on the 5th metasomal segment that consist of relatively large, pointed granules.

H. petersii
    and H. laoticus can be distinguished from each other in that H. petersii has granulation on the carapace and tergites while H. laoticus is totally devoid of any granulation, and H. petersii shows sexual dimorphism in that males have an enlarged tooth on the movable finger of the chela. Both species have a pectine tooth count of 15-19 in both sexes.

H. spinifer and H. longimanus can be distinguished from each other in that H. spinifer has a pectine tooth count of 15-19 in both sexes, while H. longimanus has a pectine tooth count of 12-18 in both sexes. Sexual dimorphism in proportions of pedipalps in H. spinifer is not noticable, with chela slightly lobiform and a length to width ratio of 2.4-2.6 in both sexes. In H. longimanus on the other hand, the chela, patella, and femur of the pedipalps in males are narrower and more elongate than in females. Chela not lobiform in male, slightly lobiform in female. Length to width ratio of chela 3.3-4.4 in males, roughly 2.4 in females.

Females of H. spinifer and H. longimanus are nearly indistinguishable from each other. Some small differences are that in H. spinifer the manus has smooth carinae forming irregular reticulations, while the manus of H. longimanus is sparsely tuberculate, and that while both species usually have the carapace with disc smooth and margins granulate, sometimes in H.longimanus the entire surface is granulate.

9. MES

Utah
    Th
    Thanks so much! This information is awesome!