H. Spinifer and enclosure

Raan_Jodus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
2 weeks ago i moved my H. Spinifer into a larger 5 gallon aquarium, and i didnt add too much to it, nothing more than the last set up i had. Water dish, and a hide, but whenever he comes out, the only thing he ever seems to want to do is climb on the ceiling. At this point the tank is too high for him to climb up on, and I am afraid if he does get up that high that if he falls he could hurt himself. Are these species that much of a climbing type?

I would like to get him a large branch or something to climb on, but have been considering the problem of him getting on the ceiling again. He got one of his pedipalps stuck in the wire mesh at the top one time (go figure). If that would be such a good idea to put something for him to climb in, I will, and when I do I would like to put in a gravel layer on the bottom of the tank for water and humidity. It seems like a good idea for when I have to go home for Xmas. If that will support him for 2 weeks I will, otherwise I have to cart him home and hide him.

Also, would it be fine to introduce another H. Spinifer into this enclosure? I have noticed they tend to be a communal species, and would love a second one. Tho I'd rather get a male cause I am not ready to deal with mating scorps or babies.

(he is at this very moment trying to find a way to climb up to the ceiling again.)

Reitz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Here's my estimation:

In the wild his burrow would be about as big as a 2.5 gallon tank. He'd come out and walk around, of course, but for the most part, he'd be at home. Now he has a little more room (little being the key word here), so he explores. But since the tank is still small, he expects more room. In the wild he'd probably have burrowed himself into a termite mound and would only leave to mate. Since he's not in a termite mound he will constantly look for a better place to live, hence the walking around.

This is an opinion, so don't hold me to it, but a fall from a 5 gallon tank lid shouldn't hurt him at all--though he shouldn't fall, since they usually don't go "out on a limb" when it comes to exploring. So go ahead and get the branch, but I can tell you that he'll just use it to try to escape. In the wild they'd stay on the floor unless they felt trapped. A better idea would be to give him a piece of driftwood that he could climb on, under, and inside of. This would make the space seem bigger, and you'd get to observe him exploring for longer periods of time.

As for the false bottom, go for it. You could definitly leave him for 2 weeks without worry. Plus, it really does make them "happier." I did it for my emps and they're more active and build more extensive burrows. Plus, I don't have to spray them as often.

Finally, 5 gallons for two H. spinifer is pushing it. They're less communal then emps, so you could have fights. Others might tell you that 10 gallons is the min for 2, but I think that's over compensation. In the wild you'd find them huddeled together in one big burrow. The difference, however, is that they'd have non-stop access to food. If you want to do it, get a female. They'll get along much better. And don't worry about babies. You could either ignore then and let them thin eachother out, or just sell 'em here for 5 buck a piece. They should go fast, and you'll make a couple of bucks.

Hope that helps,
Chris

Raan_Jodus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
sounds good all around. I have decided to go with teh false bottom. And hopefully will put it in this weekend. I hate disturbing him like that, but if its for the betterment of his environment, *shrugs*. I'd rather keep him in the 10 gallon i have at home, but thats pretty big for a dorm room. That and the parents would get suspicious at why I would need a tank that big. As of yet they dont know about my new hobby.

Well I guess its off to the store for me then today.

Is there any real proper way to installing a false bottom? I'll do a search on here to make sure I'm not missing a thread about it. I'll make sure to post if i found it so no one wastes their time describing it.

Thanx

Raan_Jodus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
well i set the bottom up and put alot more substrate in for him along with a nice piece of driftwood.

But as for the false bottoms, how long does the water usually last?

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
In my set-up I have a 20 long with 3 adults in it and 6-8 inches of peat over the gravel layer. I add about one quart(1 liter) to 1.5quarts of water to the watering tube per week. This keeps the humidity levels in my enclosure in the 65-85% range at the surface for a week. The humidity levels in the scorps burrow will be significantly higher as the peat stays moist. You will probably have to add more the first time you add water to get everything started. I also have the entire top covered with plexiglass except where my lamp sits. This helps to keep the humidity in the enclosure.

There are pics of one of my H.spinifer set-ups in the Scorpion Enclosure thread.

John
];')

Raan_Jodus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
yes i remember your pics...very nice looking set ups u have. Wish i could afford something so nice. But thanks, that gives me an idea of how much water I might need. I'll take some pics once i get my friends camera sometime. He hasnt dug a burrow yet, so i'll be able to get some decent pics of him for once.