H.Pulchripes kills but won't eat

Babushka131

Arachnopeon
I've never posted on the forums here so this is my first time and I'm not sure if this is the right area to ask, but my H.pulchripes I received in January has recently been killing all the crickets and dragging them into his hole only to toss the body out a day later.
He molted March 18th and I've noticed his abdomen is on the smaller side so I'm not even sure if he's ate since he's molted.
He usually ignores the crickets if he's not hungry so I'm not sure why he's been doing this lately?
He's maybe 1- 1.5 inches.

Danalemp1216

Arachnosquire
Please post a picture of a discarded cricket.
I've never posted on the forums here so this is my first time and I'm not sure if this is the right area to ask, but my H.pulchripes I received in January has recently been killing all the crickets and dragging them into his hole only to toss the body out a day later.
He molted March 18th and I've noticed his abdomen is on the smaller side so I'm not even sure if he's ate since he's molted.
He usually ignores the crickets if he's not hungry so I'm not sure why he's been doing this lately?
He's maybe 1- 1.5 inches.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Yes, on the second pic (above ^) clearly we can see a dead, uneaten, cricket. Your spider isn't hungry. Try later. Or try to offer something different.

Btw (again, judging by that pic) the substrate looks a bit moist IMO for that specie.

Sinned

Arachnosquire
If it hasn't eaten since it's last molt, could it be that it now has issues with it's sucking stomach?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
If it hasn't eaten since it's last molt, could it be that it now has issues with it's sucking stomach?
Well, technically this can happens (in the case of a so called 'bad molt') but I don't think that. I mean, let's hope not :)

Babushka131

Arachnopeon
It´s probably not related to it not eating, but the substrate looks way too wet on that second picture.
I just dampened the corner last night since he hasn't been eating, I was worried he'd get dehydrated.

I was thinking this could possibly be it.. But I'm really hoping it's not

Yes, on the second pic (above ^) clearly we can see a dead, uneaten, cricket. Your spider isn't hungry. Try later. Or try to offer something different.

Btw (again, judging by that pic) the substrate looks a bit moist IMO for that specie.

Would he be going out of his way to kill the cricket even if he isn't hungry?
I wet the corner last night because I was worried he was dehydrated, he was hanging around it earlier so I'm not sure if he was thirsty

Am I worrying too much?

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I wet the corner last night because I was worried he was dehydrated, he was hanging around it earlier so I'm not sure if he was thirsty
If you really fear a 'dehydration' risk, just keep the water dish always full (like I'm sure you already do) and, with a pipette etc pour drops of water nearby the burrow and whatnot.

Your spider molted on March, 18... not too much time passed, after all. I mean, definitely not that much for enter into a 'worry area'.

Babushka131

Arachnopeon
If you really fear a 'dehydration' risk, just keep the water dish always full (like I'm sure you already do) and, with a pipette etc pour drops of water nearby the burrow and whatnot.

Your spider molted on March, 18... not too much time passed, after all. I mean, definitely not that much for enter into a 'worry area'.
I'm just used to his usual behavior I suppose, but thanks guys!
If I have more questions I'll be back!

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Be careful keeping these too moist, they seem to do much better mostly dry...quite the hardy spiders. I noticed mine was more active in the higher temps as well, and had a much stronger feeding response.

I wouldn't moisten any of the sub, just keep the water dish filled. If you can share some pics of you full setup that'd be great.

scott99

Arachnoknight
Possibly. It does looks too damp.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Yes. This can happens. They kill the cricket because it's a nuisance, but, not hungry, obviously the whole thing remains uneaten.
Once my 0.1 E.murinus did exactly that :)

Little Grey Spider

Arachnoknight
I just dampened the corner last night since he hasn't been eating, I was worried he'd get dehydrated.
Why dont you pop a water dish on in there? I've been told these aren't great eaters. The first one might be a little munched, the second- no. Perhaps it just isn't hungry.

Edit: Nvmd. I see one. And yes, his tummy does look on the small side. You said he's 1.5 in? He looks bigger.

EDED

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
offer her water dish, dry her tank out first and when once a week, soak very little one side, overflowing the water dish works,
her abdomen is getting smaller? she needs water, and she will be fine dont stress too mucch and yes its an exp species

goodluck!!

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
I have two tarantulas that will kill,prey and not eat it sometimes (Hapalopus sp Colombia large and Phormictopus auratus). They both seem to have rather grumpy dispositions and they work hard on creating their little chill out caves so I imagine they don't appreciate the nuisance.