H. paucidens feeding

doodledog

Arachnopeon
Ok scorp lovers...help me with this one.
I received 2 H. Paucidens slings on October 19th...within the first 3 weeks, they both are 2x. I only recently got 1 to eat again about 3 days ago. They have heat on in the daytime hours and none in the evening. Right now I'm using small plastic tubs with a coco fiber and sand mix, holes around the top of the enclosure and in the lids...rocks are stacked appropriately and fresh water is given daily. I tend to feed in the evening hours and will remove the feeders if not interested.
Is this behavior of refusing food normal?? Is this a potential molt issue maybe? Or maybe my environmental conditions are not adequate??
Any and all replies are welcome :happy:

-Jen

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Pictures of their enclosures? Slings if all is well usually eat atleast twice a week

doodledog

Arachnopeon
Pictures of their enclosures? Slings if all is well usually eat atleast twice a week
Will do...am out n about atm...but will as soon as I'm home...they have eaten crickets and Dubias twice their size...finished them all. Idk if this would have anything to do with it...

Ran

Arachnoknight
H. paucidens scorplings will eat on a regular basis but like you said have been fed large food items and are most likely very full. I would give them a week and a half to digest then offer them food. Great species...make sure they have a water dish full at all times.

doodledog

Arachnopeon
H. paucidens scorplings will eat on a regular basis but like you said have been fed large food items and are most likely very full. I would give them a week and a half to digest then offer them food. Great species...make sure they have a water dish full at all times.
Always. Every little creature I have has always had a full bowl of fresh water...be it my tarantula or lizards of scorps...even my hamsters...everybody gets regular food and water ☺

doodledog

Arachnopeon
Also...I feel much better knowing that maybe it could be the size of their prey that's causing this temporary pause in consumptjon. I was thinking that, but wasn't quite sure. Thought I'd ask to be safe. I used to have a go to guy (a scorp breeder here on AB) that I could rely on to help answer all my questions, but he has since abandon me. So I appreciate your quick response as I don't want my babies to die or fall ill.

Thank you so much for your input and concern :happy:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They go through long periods of not eating over here, even babies, even skinny ones. Then after some weeks, they start eating again. Then there will be a fat one that you'd think wouldn't not be interested but grabs a cricket like it's starving. They have strange eating habits imo.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Welcome to keeping Hadogenes lol. I had one that went 3 months without eating anything at 4i. Then one day he was voracious again. Fasts are pretty common with that genus, so them not eating isn't a huge concern. It sounds like they were well fed before, so they may be taking a week (or three) to digest.

doodledog

Arachnopeon
Welcome to keeping Hadogenes lol. I had one that went 3 months without eating anything at 4i. Then one day he was voracious again. Fasts are pretty common with that genus, so them not eating isn't a huge concern. It sounds like they were well fed before, so they may be taking a week (or three) to digest.
You've helped ease my mind! Thanks so much :happy:
-Jen