H.maculata eating... Help dave!

FlameHairedBiker

Arachnopeon
So about 3 weeks ago, I went to get food for my B.boehmei, saw a H.maculata that had I'd seen every time I went in for about 6 months. Nobody wanted it... So I walked out with mealworm for my boehmei (she's a sling), and the baboon with a full set up.
The first few locusts I gave him, I damaged a leg getting them out so he could easily get them.
I managed to body grab a locust and pop it in and he has spent 4 days trying to catch the little sod.
My question is, is he having 'hunting' issues because he's been fed pre killed in a box for months? I know it's a silly question as it's a likely yes, but I just want to make sure it's not be being a divvy!
I've always had from young so to, sort of, adopt an older one that's been unwanted for a long time is new to me.
Not my first Togo btw, just my first time with this behaviour!
Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Just to note, he's extremely active. Once 11pm hits he's out and he seems to be trying very hard to catch the sod! He's on the side table next to where I sit on my sofa so I can keep an eye on him. I sits and hear a thud where he's gone on a merry mission trying to catch it!

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Does the enclosure have plenty of hiding places? If it is all open like in your photos, the T can never get the element of surprise on the locust.

H. maculata also do really well with a lot of cover... Trust me, when they bolt - you want them going down into their cover and NOT out of the enclosure. A lot of folk will say they are one of the top-level spiders that only advanced keepers should have.

FlameHairedBiker

Arachnopeon
Does the enclosure have plenty of hiding places? If it is all open like in your photos, the T can never get the element of surprise on the locust.

H. maculata also do really well with a lot of cover... Trust me, when they bolt - you want them going down into their cover and NOT out of the enclosure. A lot of folk will say they are one of the top-level spiders that only advanced keepers should have.

Bark full length of the back of the Viv. As I said, it's not my first but I had 6 years with zero arachnids and I usually get them as slings.
he's very quiet during daylight hours (as expected) and comes out around 11pm.
He was very cautious with his new Viv for a week or so (again, as expected).
He was in a kid's sized takeaway box for months (pic attached) and was fed pre-killed.
He demolishes locusts that aren't able to move fast (maimed) but can't get this one.
Do you think it's because of how the shop housed and fed him for so long?
Soon as he's fully used to this, I'll give him some time to 'relax' and pop him in a slightly taller and wider one as tonight he's actually started relaxing on the ceiling of his home.
Just never had one that's had such trouble catching locust before!

Oh and there's no way I'd let him have even the slightest chance of getting out! Getting him in was hard enough, he really wasn't happy at all hadn't even got the lid he'd been attached to out before I had to throw my tongues and the lid like a bat out of hell and slam the lid shut! A second, if that, and he was withing half a cm of my hand! Think he was grateful to be able it of the tub but wanted me out of his way, which is fair.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator: