H. Mac and P. Vittata sling enclosures DIY

SianLittle

Arachnopeon
Hey so I’m getting a 1.5cm H. Mac and a 5cm p. Vittata in 5 days and I’m looking for any advice about the enclosures I’ve set up for them.
I’m doing as much research as possible but still looking for advice from more experienced keepers of these species.

Ideally I wish I had more of a clear tub for the pokie but it’s clear at either end so I hope that’s enough to make sure I can see where the wee guy will be.
It’s pretty big because I’m hoping to not have to do too many rehousings of them. I’m hoping once it outgrows this that it’ll be big enough for an exo well that’s my plan lol

I’ve used a pen lid as a water dish in the smaller tub for the h Mac and made a starter burrow.
The substrate in both are half dry half damp and I’m leaving them to dry out.

Any advice is appreciated

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
H. mac

Doesnt look aweful, but these slings are very sensitive....I would never put one in a vial...just not enough ventilation.

A 16 or even 32 oz deli cup would be a superior choice. It will be fine there till about 3"
I hope to god you have more experience than your questions might indicate...H. mac is probably one of the two most advanced species in the hobby....I waited 15 years before getting them...theyre no joke as juvies and adults and are one of the most difficult slings to raise. I lost a few before i got them dialed in just right, and i was already very experienced.

Vitatta

Thats just not gonna work. They need ground space more than they need vertical space....theres no ground space there. I would house it in a shallower tub with more ground space and a big piece of leaned wood to get under and climb on.

Dont be afraid of re houses, they are invaluable learning experiences and not nearly as difficult as many expect. Avoiding re houses, means avoiding a valuable learning expereince....if re houses scare you, its best to make differrent t choices.

Last edited:

SianLittle

Arachnopeon
H. mac

Doesnt look aweful, but these slings are very sensitive....I would never put one in a vial...just not enough ventilation.

A 16 or even 32 oz deli cup would be a superior choice. It will be fine there till about 3"
I hope to got you have more experience than your questions might indicate...H. mac is probably one of the two most advanced species in the hobby....I waited 15 years before getting them...theyre no joke as juvies and adults and are one of the most difficult slings to raise. I lost a few before i got them dialed in just right, and i was already very experienced.

Vitatta

Thats just not gonna work. They need ground space more than they need vertical space....theres no ground space there. I would house it in a shallower tub with more ground space and a big piece of leaned wood to get under and climb on.

Dont be afraid of re houses, they are invaluable learning experiences and not nearly as difficult as many expect. Avoiding re houses, means avoiding a valuable learning expereince....if re houses scare you, its best to make differrent t choices.
Thanks for the reply cold blood

I’m as experienced as I can be with regards to new worlds but was offered the p vittata for free and as it was on my list to order in the new year I thought fab! The person then said she would give me the h Mac as well as she’s terrified of both and she got them in a mystery box. I knew basic info on them but after researching more I said I’d take it as well and so I’m prepared for “anything can happen” when it comes to both of these sp and that they are not to be messed with.
That’s why I thought maybe cutting down the number of transfers would cut down the number of potential bolts but I understand what you’re saying.
I have another enclosure that should do then
It is in a big but shallow deli cup at present and seems to be looking for extra height so that was my thinking but I’m happy to change it.

The vial has 12 air holes for cross ventilation and the lid is covered in holes. I did these myself as there were none on the vial and so can add more if necessary (I’m using the next few days to monitor how quick it dries out)
Again though I do have bigger enclosures though so I can change that no bother as well.
I’ve heard keeping them drier and with a water dish is preferred and they seem to do well in those conditions. Have you found that?

Last edited by a moderator:

cold blood

Staff member
I’m as experienced as I can be with regards to new worlds but was offered the p vittata for free
That's good. I actually got my first pokie the same way...and it was also a vitatta.
It is in a big but shallow deli cup at present and seems to be looking for extra height so that was my thinking but I’m happy to change it.
A shallow deli isn't really good....they will want some sub depth as well as something to climb on, although as I said, it doesn't need to be much...I will post a pic of the set up I use in a minute.

The vial has 12 air holes for cross ventilation and the lid is covered in holes
The issue is that the t will web, and with the limited space, all those vent holes can quickly be webbed up, negating their value as ventilation.
I’ve heard keeping them drier and with a water dish is preferred and they seem to do well in those conditions. Have you found that?
And here lies the issue with H. mac slings. have indeed found that drier works for me best by far...but the vast majority of people have the opposite experience, having best luck with a damper enclosure....Its one of those things that requires individual experimentation.

The pokie is a lot more forgiving, they actually do fine predominantly dry, and also do fine kept on damp sub. I tend to keep them drier, and when things are dry for a while, I dampen it good and then allow it to dry back out and repeat the process when its has been dry for a bit.

cold blood

Staff member
This is a container I get for just $1. Its great for juvie, non avic type arboreals.

Easy to ventilate with a drill or sodering iron.

You can see how its set up...good water dish, just enough sub to burrow down a bit, wood slanted to allow a home beneath it, with plants around the base to make it more inviting. Its not very vertical, but it provides good space for hunting. 20181106_155614.jpg 20181106_155538.jpg

SianLittle

Arachnopeon
Thanks very much and wow that’s a beauty!! I can’t wait to see mine get to that size.

Ah I see! The little tub it’s in right now is really not suitable but it has started webbing already. I’ll have a look online and see what I can get. I’m in the uk so I’d have to order taller deli cups.

I have a tub that should work for the vittata but I may also just see if I can buy something better as ideally I want a top opening container.

This is a container I get for just $1. Its great for juvie, non avic type arboreals.

Easy to ventilate with a drill or sodering iron.

You can see how its set up...good water dish, just enough sub to burrow down a bit, wood slanted to allow a home beneath it, with plants around the base to make it more inviting. Its not very vertical, but it provides good space for hunting. View attachment 291546 View attachment 291547

I see what you mean an I know exactly where I can get them so that’s ideal!
Thanks very much

Glorious Baboon

Arachnosquire
Vials will work. if you have a drill or soldering iron I would recommend adding cross ventilation like cold blood said holes in just the lid don’t seem to be enough but like any enclosure modifications can be made, personally I would just buy 32oz deli cups and add ventilation due to how fast those two species grow