H. longimanus with lump on side?

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
So about a month ago I bought 2 H. longimanus females from the pet store, set them up in their enclosures and both of them were gone from sight as soon as they found their burrows. I go to rehouse this one and notice not only is she pretty fat but there's a bulge on her side. I've had gravid scorpions before and I've had gluttons before but I've never seen a bulge like this in particular. My other scorpion is just fine, no bulge. Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance :)

Attachments

Ran

Arachnoknight
Looks fine. Looks to be well fed and maybe gravid...most adult wild caught females come in gravid.

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
If she's gravid, I can definitely handle that lol. I've just never seen any of my other scorpions have 1 big lump that sticks out more than the rest. It's a different color too.

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
I've seen 1 or 2 other posts on this and the only thing people can bring up to "assumption" are a food blockage and it's unable to digest. Or some sort of parasite growing inside. But you would only figure that out after its passed and dissected

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
I've seen 1 or 2 other posts on this and the only thing people can bring up to "assumption" are a food blockage and it's unable to digest. Or some sort of parasite growing inside. But you would only figure that out after its passed and dissected
I read a post about that but theirs was completely different looking than mine. I mean so far mine is active and acts normal, unlike the one in the post I had read about. I guess time will tell and we shall see what happens.

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Yea definitely a question for the pros lol. I'm not one... definitely would be haunting me tho if it was my scorp.. hope all turns out well. Is it fully matured? Any chance if it still molting?

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
Yea definitely a question for the pros lol. I'm not one... definitely would be haunting me tho if it was my scorp.. hope all turns out well. Is it fully matured? Any chance if it still molting?
She's rather large so I'm assuming she's fully grown. I have 2 other females of this species similar in size and they have yet to molt. The one female I've had roughly a year now with no molt. It would be a shame if it's parasitic or just a death waiting to happen, but these were bought for future breeding projects and I can only hope the one pictured is gravid and I'm just being overly worried about nothing lol.

Collin Clary

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Another possibility is that it's something akin to a hernia.

This phenomenon isn't too uncommon, and nobody is really sure exactly what it is. Usually the scorpion survives and behaves normally. Occasionally in severe cases the scorpion dies, however it looks pretty mild in this case.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There could be several causes but I've witnessed very large swelled areas(lumps) caused by a hard pinch to the side by another scorpion. I've also seen them go away but often takes months and sometimes doesn't completely go away.

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
Just got home from work and checked on her and she's doing fine. Guess the only thing I can do is play the ever so daunting waiting game to see what happens. The lump hasn't gotten bigger which is good.