H. lividum

KrystalG

Arachnosquire
I posted this on an older thread, but it hasnt gotten any replies, so here I am. My H. lividum ate 1 cricket for me at the beginning of the month; he has about a 4 inch leg span but I didnt offer any more, which may be the issue. So, he ate, but he isn't burrowing and is fairly sluggish. I always find him in a new area every time i check on him, but I've never really seen him moving about. Is this normal? I may be paranoid. Should I offer more food?

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Is is mature male? How long have you had it? Do you have photo of the spider in question and its enclosure?

Major017

Arachnopeon
Pictures pictures pictures! As @KezyGLA mentioned, if it's a mature male, it is probably nearing the end of its life. If not, sluggishness is a sign of premolt, but could also be a sign of improper enclosure conditions, it depends. That's why pictures would be nice.

KrystalG

Arachnosquire
Does this species have tibial hooks? He doesnt have any. I got him about a week before Christmas and I have no clue what the sex is. If I have to move him for something, he hardly ever strikes. Here are pictures of the spider and enclosure. The enclosure has 7 inches of substrate, a large water dish and a hide. It also has drilled plexi glass beneath the lid.

Attachments

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Ok looks a little rough but not MM. Looks like it may have had a bad moult previously.

Has it started to make a burrow yet, in the slightest? Maybe poke a starter burrow?

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
Well he isn't a mature male. Did you pack the substrate well when you set him up? Could be that he doesn't like the feel and is having trouble settling in. You could offer more food or see if he'll scavenge some pre-killed, but imo it seems like your husbandry is fine.

I'd agree with KezyGLA that he definitely looks to be in rough shape, WC mayhaps?

Major017

Arachnopeon
Well he isn't a mature male. Did you pack the substrate well when you set him up? Could be that he doesn't like the feel and is having trouble settling in. You could offer more food or see if he'll scavenge some pre-killed, but imo it seems like your husbandry is fine.

I'd agree with KezyGLA that he definitely looks to be in rough shape, WC mayhaps?
That T looks like he's seen somestuff, I hope it's wild caught. Otherwise someone kept that thing terribly.

Last edited by a moderator:

KrystalG

Arachnosquire
Ok looks a little rough but not MM. Looks like it may have had a bad moult previously.

Has it started to make a burrow yet, in the slightest? Maybe poke a starter burrow?
No, he hasnt made a burrow at all. I poked a 2 inch deep starter hole and even added a small cork tube at the front when I wasnt getting any response. This is a cobalt, right, not a Vietnam blue? I dont much trust the place I got it from. Also, when ai got him, he had made a burrow in that container, so I have no idea why he isn't burrowing. He did get a leg injury and I made a mistake by fixing it with crazy glue. It could be that I suppose, but he was active for a while after that.

KrystalG

Arachnosquire
That T looks like he's seen some shit, I hope it's wild caught. Otherwise someone kept that thing terribly.
Pretty sure it was wild caught. However, his leg had a bad bleed the day i got him so I did patch it with the glue, which I shouldn't have.

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
No, he hasnt made a burrow at all. I poked a 2 inch deep starter hole and even added a small cork tube at the front when I wasnt getting any response. This is a cobalt, right, not a Vietnam blue? I dont much trust the place I got it from. Also, when ai got him, he had made a burrow in that container, so I have no idea why he isn't burrowing. He did get a leg injury and I made a mistake by fixing it with crazy glue. It could be that I suppose, but he was active for a while after that.
Definitely looks to be C. lividus to me(if that's even the name at this point, god knows how many times its changed). May be that he's got some other kind of issue going on from living wild, or caused by capture and transport. Or there may be no issue at all and he's taking his sweet time, as unusual as that may be. I think your best bet at this point is to keep him hydrated and well kept like you have, offer some food and hope he at least manages another molt. Rooting for the both of ya.

Major017

Arachnopeon
Pretty sure it was wild caught. However, his leg had a bad bleed the day i got him so I did patch it with the glue, which I shouldn't have.
I can't speak well on that behalf, as I have never had any issue so severe that I had to apply glue, but he is alive, and that speaks for something. If he survives his next molt, he will definitely show more enthusiasm, I'd think.

KrystalG

Arachnosquire
I can't speak well on that behalf, as I have never had any issue so severe that I had to apply glue, but he is alive, and that speaks for something. If he survives his next molt, he will definitely show more enthusiasm, I'd think.
Alright. I had someone say it looks like he may not molt for another year I'm very worried. I know that if the legs cause him problems he can amputate, and I know that is the case. I got him from a pet store that is notorious for keeping their inverts incorrectly. He had been in the store for probably 3 months before I decided to buy him He was on aspen bedding in a six inch round container (his leg span is 4 inches). There was plenty of mold and no water dish, just a sponge, as well as a heat lamp over all of the inverts. Invert containers (small plastic tubs) were also stacked all over one another. Could this bad keeping be a reason? Im very worried for him

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
Alright. I had someone say it looks like he may not molt for another year I'm very worried. I know that if the legs cause him problems he can amputate, and I know that is the case. I got him from a pet store that is notorious for keeping their inverts incorrectly. He had been in the store for probably 3 months before I decided to buy him He was on aspen bedding in a six inch round container (his leg span is 4 inches). There was plenty of mold and no water dish, just a sponge, as well as a heat lamp over all of the inverts. Invert containers (small plastic tubs) were also stacked all over one another. Could this bad keeping be a reason? Im very worried for him
It certainly didn't help the situation, that's for sure. Really awful how many places keep that way.