H. Lividum Help

KrystalG

Arachnosquire
I know I've asked a lot of questions about this guy, but better safe than sorry. He's always partially on the glass, partially on the ground at night, kind of like hes trying to get out. He's often all spread out with only his back four legs on the ground. I understand they are active at night, but why is he choosing to do this XD. Thanks for all the help.

Tia B

Arachnopigeon
I don't really have much input on why your spider would be doing that, but I think it may be better to just ask new questions about him on the threads you already started. You don't have to start a new thread for every new question. I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just offering a bit of advice. That way those threads would become active again, move to the top of the boards, and you would probably get quicker answers, not to mention it would clear the clutter from some of the boards.

I do hope you find answers tk all your questions to your satisfaction.

KrystalG

Arachnosquire
I don't really have much input on why your spider would be doing that, but I think it may be better to just ask new questions about him on the threads you already started. You don't have to start a new thread for every new question. I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just offering a bit of advice. That way those threads would become active again, move to the top of the boards, and you would probably get quicker answers, not to mention it would clear the clutter from some of the boards.

I do hope you find answers tk all your questions to your satisfaction.
Thanks. Sorry. Only my second or third day here.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
"Why is my tarantula ________?"

This can usually be answered with: "Because it's a tarantula."

Don't read too much into their behavior. With only a few exceptions, the things they do mean very little in terms of what they need. Your tarantula is being a tarantula. It will be weeks until it settles into its new home (the time frame seems to increase with larger enclosures).

KrystalG

Arachnosquire
Hey, how often should I mist my H. lividum enclosure, if anyone has experience. I dont have a humidity gauge permanently placed in there, only a probe. The lid has drilled plexiglass over it so it keeps it more humid than average. I know this is kind of stupid because no one really knows all my conditions. Just wondering where most people keep their humidity and how often they mist to get there.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Hey, how often should I mist my H. lividum enclosure, if anyone has experience.
No, I'm sorry, but here no one keep anymore the 'blue swag' Theraphosidae. As a Jewish American businessman in New York City (in the pure finest Summer of 1990) on Fifth Avenue told me:"...old fashion! That's old fashion!" :troll:

I dont have a humidity gauge permanently placed in there, only a probe. The lid has drilled plexiglass over it so it keeps it more humid than average. I know this is kind of stupid because no one really knows all my conditions. Just wondering where most people keep their humidity and how often they mist to get there.
You don't need to 'mist' at all. Actually you don't need a humidity gauge inside the enclosure as well (90% of those are cheap :mooning: plastic garbage, really serious ones costs like a dozen of 'Haplos'). What you need is:

- inches of substrate (probably you offered those, but here, without pics, I'm forced to state this, no matter)
- a water dish, always full
- IMO a good ventilation, because humidity and a not proper ventilation aren't a good mix
- to keep the substrate slightly moist/moist - pour room temperature water directly in the substrate, with a plastic pipette etc
- a piece of cork bark/other wood, always accepted by the bugger, plus... how much crappy is an enclosure without one? :pompous:

Done.

KrystalG

Arachnosquire
No, I'm sorry, but here no one keep anymore the 'blue swag' Theraphosidae. As a Jewish American businessman in New York City (in the pure finest Summer of 1990) on Fifth Avenue told me:"...old fashion! That's old fashion!" :troll:

You don't need to 'mist' at all. Actually you don't need a humidity gauge inside the enclosure as well (90% of those are cheap :mooning: plastic garbage, really serious ones costs like a dozen of 'Haplos'). What you need is:

- inches of substrate (probably you offered those, but here, without pics, I'm forced to state this, no matter)
- a water dish, always full
- IMO a good ventilation, because humidity and a not proper ventilation aren't a good mix
- to keep the substrate slightly moist/moist - pour room temperature water directly in the substrate, with a plastic pipette etc
- a piece of cork bark/other wood, always accepted by the bugger, plus... how much crappy is an enclosure without one? :pompous:

Done.
Cool cool. I have most of what is stated above. I do have drilled plexiglass on the lid and was told it should provide enough airflow. I did have a piece of cork in the old enclosure, but he didn't use it and I was told to simply dig a starter burrow about two inches deep. All my spiders always have a water dish (unless they're slings) and he has about 7 inches of substrate. I am concerned about the plexiglass. The enclosure doesn't get foggy or anything, but Im still kinda on the fence. I put up the plexi to prevent another stuck tarsal claw. (He had a pretty bad bleed on his leg after getting stuck on the mesh lid) Thoughts? Keep the plexi or not, in your opinion?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Cool cool. I have most of what is stated above. I do have drilled plexiglass on the lid and was told it should provide enough airflow. I did have a piece of cork in the old enclosure, but he didn't use it and I was told to simply dig a starter burrow about two inches deep. All my spiders always have a water dish (unless they're slings) and he has about 7 inches of substrate. I am concerned about the plexiglass. The enclosure doesn't get foggy or anything, but Im still kinda on the fence. I put up the plexi to prevent another stuck tarsal claw. (He had a pretty bad bleed on his leg after getting stuck on the mesh lid) Thoughts? Keep the plexi or not, in your opinion?
I always used (since 1992, when I've started to keep T's) only glass (rare, and mostly for arboreals); XL and XXL sized Kritter Keepers; normal, cheap but reliable, plastic 'dress storage boxes' turned into enclosures, but never something like that, so I can't give you a first hand opinion about.

Anyway (again, saying this without viewing a picture) I think isn't big deal the plexiglass. Your 'haplo' probably needs time to settle, it's normal, because actually they are die harder pet holes so, if this doesn't happens (which means, they have to 'disappear') this is the reason.

A thing: you said 'he' more than once. So, that was just for saying, or we are talking about a 1.0 specimen? Because if you are certain about the gender, things change.

KrystalG

Arachnosquire
I always used (since 1992, when I've started to keep T's) only glass (rare, and mostly for arboreals); XL and XXL sized Kritter Keepers; normal, cheap but reliable, plastic 'dress storage boxes' turned into enclosures, but never something like that, so I can't give you a first hand opinion about.

Anyway (again, saying this without viewing a picture) I think isn't big deal the plexiglass. Your 'haplo' probably needs time to settle, it's normal, because actually they are die harder pet holes so, if this doesn't happens (which means, they have to 'disappear') this is the reason.

A thing: you said 'he' more than once. So, that was just for saying, or we are talking about a 1.0 specimen? Because if you are certain about the gender, things change.
That was just for saying, im not sure the gender.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
That was just for saying, im not sure the gender.
Imagined that, because 1.0 once they turn MM drastically reduce their 'pet hole' part... are out more often, sometimes they start holes everywhere (lol), things like that.

Your spider probably needs time for settle. Once my M.robustum, after a rehouse I was forced to do due to her previous owner crappy care, started to burrow again only after almost two months. Happens, with adult specimens... that's why I suggest to not move those kind of T's once they are adults, aside for an extrema ratio issue.

KrystalG

Arachnosquire
Imagined that, because 1.0 once they turn MM drastically reduce their 'pet hole' part... are out more often, sometimes they start holes everywhere (lol), things like that.

Your spider probably needs time for settle. Once my M.robustum, after a rehouse I was forced to do due to her previous owner crappy care, started to burrow again only after almost two months. Happens, with adult specimens... that's why I suggest to not move those kind of T's once they are adults, aside for an extrema ratio issue.
Extrema Ratio? And I had to move him, he was in a large deli cup when he was given to me.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Extrema Ratio? And I had to move him, he was in a large deli cup when he was given to me.
No, I wasn't talking about you before on that statement, sorry, but in general.
For me, to move adults (not slings or juvenile specimens) 100% certified 'pet holes' (so the like of 'haplos', P.muticus, M.robustum etc you name one) should be done only when happens delicate/harmful scenario or, obviously, when someone purchase them... basically the soon in their 'final' enclosure, the better.

KrystalG

Arachnosquire
No, I wasn't talking about you before on that statement, sorry, but in general.
For me, to move adults (not slings or juvenile specimens) 100% certified 'pet holes' (so the like of 'haplos', P.muticus, M.robustum etc you name one) should be done only when happens delicate/harmful scenario or, obviously, when someone purchase them... basically the soon in their 'final' enclosure, the better.
Okay. This is my first old world. I kinda jumped from beginner species to advanced species due to circumstances. I want to get this exactly right.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Okay. This is my first old world. I kinda jumped from beginner species to advanced species due to circumstances. I want to get this exactly right.
Oh, I don't judge you for that at all. Life is basically made of circumstances and the changing of those.

Once your spider will start to 'disappear' under that substrate things will be exactly right, ah ah, don't worry.

KrystalG

Arachnosquire
Oh, I don't judge you for that at all. Life is basically made of circumstances and the changing of those.
And it could take months, you say?
Once your spider will start to 'disappear' under that substrate things will be exactly right, ah ah, don't worry.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
And it could take months, you say?
No :)

I've said, basically, this: '... don't worry, because, sooner or later, your 'haplo' will burrow and things will be alright.'

Granted, the set up and the parameter needs to be 'ok', but I have no reasons for doubt you and what you said here on this thread, and what you said is 'ok' enough.

As far a more or less accurate time guess for that, well... no one can tell you, because the final 'word' is always the spider one. I've said that, once, my adult 0.1 M.robustum needed almost a good two months for burrow again. But this is what happened to her, not a 'rule', let's say.