H. lividum growth rate?

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I am now the proud caretaker of three 0.5 inch Haplopelma lividum slings. I've found a range of information in regard to the growth rate of this species: moderate, medium, fast, very fast... I know much will depend on husbandry.

My L. parahybana went from 0.25 inch to 3+ inches in the course of one year. Most of my slings are Brachypelma sp with one Grammostola and one Acanthoscurria. My OBT and GBB have already bypassed those in size even though some of the Brachys are growing faster than I anticipated.

Slings <2 inches I generally feed once every 5 to 7 days. Most are kept at an average of 70 degrees Fahrenheit. The H. lividum are at ~78 with increased humidity. What kind of growth rate can I expect?

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hello? Anyone out there raised Cobalts from slings?

I'll be out of town for two weeks in July and I'm trying to determine if I will need an experienced spider sitter for these three.

justingordon

Arachnosquire
you wont need a sitter they can go months without eating just make sure their substrate is moist

jgod790

Arachnoknight
I would like to know myself. From what Ive herd, I think they have a medium/fast growth rate.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It's the moist part I'm concerned with. My other Ts are set up so that my octogenarian non-tarantula loving mother can get water into their bowls without opening the enclosures. If these guys/gals get large enough by then, I can set them up similarly. If they are still in vials... I'd rather not chance them escaping or my mom getting bitten.

flamesbane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
2 weeks? Reduce the ventilation on the vials and dampen the substrate. They will be fine. I haven't had any problem from the substrate drying completely for a few days (a week even) with the H. lividum slings I have.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks, flamesbane. They have pin hole vents now. If they grow big enough to go into their next sized enclosure between now and then, I could have 'vacation' lids with decreased ventilation.

Or... I could just take them with me! {D I will be out of town attending a tarantula function after all. :)

High_Rolling_T

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just to save you from making "vacation lids," you could just use plastic wrap to limit the ventilation, works great for that.

But personally I think the taking them with you idea is the best :p

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
But personally I think the taking them with you idea is the best
{D The last time I was out west (c. 1960ish) we traveled with a guinea pig. We slipped him into hotels, restaurants, Mammoth Cave... :)
These Ts and containers combined are smaller than "George" was. I can see me packing them to the bottom of the Grand Canyon. (Can't leave them to overheat in the car!) {D At least they wouldn't wheek and chirr under the restaurant seats and attract attention to themselves.

NevularScorpion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
In my exp they are grow slow. I had 1/4" slings for 2 years and they all grew to about 1 1/2" with room temperature ranging 78-80F. I decided to sell them and just get an adult female.

fatich

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i have 1 Haplopelma lividum sling,but i dont know which molt it was, when i bought it.its really a slow grower,now it has 3cm body length and i can see the blue color,it molted 1 month ago and it took 6,5months until last molt. The soil is always dump and the temperature is around 23-24 degree.
Maybe this information can help,if you have any question feel free to ask me :)

[YOUTUBE]iQSAs1DmPYk[/YOUTUBE]

Tym Hollerup

Arachnoknight
From my understanding they can be a very slow growing species. I was going to get a 1/2" sling for $25, but after discussing growth rates with a friend of mine that has had them before as slings, I decided to just go ahead spend the extra $35 and get a 3" unsexed. She seems to be doing well. I've had her for a little over 2 weeks now. She hasn't burrowed at all yet, but has eaten the 2 crickets that I threw in there the past two days. Now I won't feed her again for another 5-7 days or so. H. lividums are really wonderful T's! :)