H. lividum as a pet

S

Solar Dart

Hi. I've got a few scorpions and a centipede and am planning on getting a tarantula next month. I really like the Colbalt Blue, and was wondering what sort of living requirements and such it'd need.
Also, are they are hardy species, or do they require very exacting temperature and humidity? Since this is my first spider, I don't want something too difficult!
Thanks for any help you may have.

U

Unregistered

Although quite possibly the best looking spider, they do not make good starter tarantulas. I've been told that they are one of the most agressive tarantulas. Go to www.petbugs.com to look at a caresheet for it, there you can see what it's requirements are.

Good luck

Mark

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Also, don't forget that Cobalt Blues hide constantly and rarely come out of hiding.

sensei129

Arachnopeon
I just bought mine last weekend after waiting for one to show up in my area, Had to box it up myself, The little guy just loved to say hello to everybody. ( Front legs up in a defensive stance, Fangs out, and tried to show what kind of a speed demon he is. This is number 26 for me and is definitely a species for the more experianced handler. After getting him home he barricaded himself that first night so I have to check on him every so often.

Vayu Son

Old Timer
hmm

as a starting tarantula the cobalt isnt so great. Usually very aggressive, fast, and skiddish. I rarely see my spiderling, which can tend to be a problem when they dont clean up after themselves. Little food particles stuck in a burrow with high humidity pretty much gives you a 100% chance on mold, and its not a spider you want to have to frequently remove - for both yours and the spiders safety.

But youve kept centipedes and some scorps so i doubt your too much of a begginer. A middle-price--range and colorful spider that youll see often is Chromatopelma cyanopubescens, or the greenbottle blue. Excellent spider for show and for temperment.

King_Looey

Arachnoprimate
Old Timer
You have to have guts to keep a cobalt blue, They are very quick and very bad tempered. I know you have experince in dealing with aggressive inverts, as you have some scorps and centipedes, but if you want to start keep Tarantulas, get used to the more docile species first. Dont rush into things.

Remember 1 thing.

Centipedes and scorps cant climb glass like a tarantula, are you sure youre quick enough to stop it if it tries to get out?

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I have an H.lividum which isn't that agressive. Fast, though -- very fast. I find my P.murinus to be much more agressive, as they strike at the glass and such. I do agree, though, that most H.lividum I have seen have been quick to take up an agressive pose and that they hide a lot and are quick.

I will warn you that switching from scorpions to tarantulas is harder in some respects and easier in others. Tarantulas climb, rotate around their own body axis quickly and run with a speed that scorpions can't match (due to length of legs, mostly).

On the other hand, tarantulas don't blend in that well with their background. I have a couple different bark scorpions that can dissapear before your eyes. They also can't kill you -- a real bonus. They also tend to be bigger and thus easier to enclose -- you don't need to worry about small cracks etc. until you have babies.

My ultimate advice -- if you like the buthids then go for the cobalt blue. The rules are the same -- don't take chances, don't get gotten.

If you like the emps, Ishnuridae etc. then stick to the chilean rose hairs, pink toes etc.

Cheers,
Dave

King_Looey

Arachnoprimate
Old Timer
I agree with Skinhead dave on all his points but his ultimate advice. Do not get a cobalt blue untill you consider yourself competant with the more docile species.

S

Solar Dart

Thanks guys...

...this is exactly the sort of advice I was looking for! Although some of my scorpions are "hot", they are poor climbers. The centipede is REAL fast and vicious, but he can't climb up the side of the tank.
I will say I've got a fair amount of experience dealing with various small, fast, mean animals due to both my hobby and my job, but I have NO experience with tarantulas. I think you guys are right; I need to start with something more docile.
Perhaps I'll look into that green bottle blue. Thanks again for the help all!

(P.S. : why does the board keep saying I'm a guest? I registered a few weeks ago and it used to say I was a member)

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
At some point you probably either logged out or cleaned out your cookies. Or it's possible it's just a screw up. When you get to the main forum page, go to the bottom and put in your username and password and log back in. You may want to go the options in the user control panel and make sure that it's set to remember you. Once you log back in and do that, you shouldn't have any more problems hopefully. If you have any questions, feel free to email or PM me.

Scott