h. hottentotta communal tank.

maxfightmaster

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hey, guys

i just finished putting together my h. hottentotta communal tank. this is my first scorpion communal tank, so i wanted to tell you a little about it and show yall some pics... i got the rocks, drift wood, and sand from the river. i baked all them in the oven on 325 degrees for 2 hours to kill anything that was living on/in them. the substrate is a 50/50 mix of river sand and eco earth, and i arranged the rocks to make a total of 8 hides. i plan on putting 6 adult h. hottentotta scorpions in it...

scorpion tank left.jpg

scorpion tank center.jpg

scorpion tank right.jpg

scorpion tank.jpg

any positive or negative freed back would be greatly appreciated. thanks. :cool:

voldemort

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
IME, even with ample hides and feeders roaming around the tank, cannibalism is always a possibility, as I've lost an adult roughly 3 weeks ago from my Hh communal setup.

also, add a shallow water dish as I've seen mine guzzling from time to time.

maxfightmaster

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
IME, even with ample hides and feeders roaming around the tank, cannibalism is always a possibility, as I've lost an adult roughly 3 weeks ago from my Hh communal setup.

also, add a shallow water dish as I've seen mine guzzling from time to time.
thanks for the in put, this is my first communal setup, so i hoping i can keep the well feed so that cannibalism wont happen that often. how often do you feed your communal setup?... i have a water dish in there now. i just forgot to put it in for the pic. :o_O:

voldemort

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thanks for the in put, this is my first communal setup, so i hoping i can keep the well feed so that cannibalism wont happen that often. how often do you feed your communal setup?... i have a water dish in there now. i just forgot to put it in for the pic. :o_O:
I feed my scorps regularly, just like you I have 6 (formerly 7) adults and put 8 subadult B. lateralis every 5-7 days. There will be squabbling at first just like African Rift Lake cichlids until they become accustomed to sharing their enclosures with others.

I put almost all of my scorpions in separate containers until they reach adulthood (or ran out of enclo), so maybe that is a factor in sociability in a communal setup.

BTW, great setup

maxfightmaster

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thanks. :)

thats what im doing now with my Hh. when the reach adulthood im going to put 4 females and 2 males in this tank... now when you feed your communal tanks do you put like a 2:1 ratio of prey to scorpions? or do you do a 1:1? i have read different things from different people.

MaxxZacho

Arachnopeon
I would make sure there is somewhere where they will be able to be on the drift wood but still hidden. Like some bark with a gap... I have some scorps that never touch the ground. Just a suggestion. Looks like a great set up so far. I like the realistic number of hides. Ive seen too many "communal" set ups that are just 3 rocks and some sand for 3 full grown scorps. Lol.

Anyway your totally on the right track I'm impressed! :^)

Last edited:

voldemort

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thanks. :)

... 4 females and 2 males...
mine are all females, it is almost impossible to find a male Hottentotta hottentotta here in the Philippines. I just put 8-10 lateralis on their enclosure and replenish once they are gone. Though sometimes I fast them from time to time (or I am away attending seminars and such:))

Keister

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I keep all my scorp species communally. I make sure they just have an ample supply of hides, and I make sure that they get fed at least twice a week. Everyone seems to be perfectly happy, and I have no problems with cannablism. Your enclosure looks good too! Good luck!

2nscorpx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ehhhhmmm, Hottentotta Hottentotta is parthenogenetic....:D

voldemort

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well, thats good to know. now i have nothing to worry about. :)
no, its just the tip of the iceberg...

you'll worry about feeders, enclosures and patience in feeding them. YOURS will give 25 slings (minimum) per clutch 3-4 x a year. Let the experience start this....:)

maxfightmaster

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
no, its just the tip of the iceberg...

you'll worry about feeders, enclosures and patience in feeding them. YOURS will give 25 slings (minimum) per clutch 3-4 x a year. Let the experience start this....:)
thats what im hoping for. i already breed pin head crickets for my Ts, and i just started a Blaptica dubia colony, so taking care of of them shouldnt be a problem. :biggrin:

Zman181

Arachnoknight
I love your setup. Please post pics when you have them settled in. As Keister posted try feeding them twice a week to better the chances of no cannibalism taking place.