H.gigas vs p.murinus

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Would anybody care to tell me whats with all the hate on my original post here?
Because suggesting that any new hobbyist get an advanced species is irresponsible. Suggesting that a new hobbyist who got bit by an A. chalcodes of all things get an advanced species is worse than irresponsible, it's just mean. This keeper is clearly not past the poking and prodding phase many new keepers go through.

You're a smart guy. You didn't need me to spell that out.

Last edited:

kevinlowl

Arachnoknight
@Chris LXXIX You should recommend the guy to just get a S. subspinipes. Way easier, and not to mention safer, to care for than any tarantula ever because they can't climb smooth surfaces. If he manages to get bit even by that then it would not be the bite report we need but the one we deserve.

DrowsyLids

Arachnosquire
After the bite report from the A. chalcodes I would only recommend spending some time learning the "social cues" of the species that you currently have. I say that for lack of a better phrase. Other posters mentioned a lot of good points and there are many options for other stepping stone species to choose from when you see fit.

cold blood

Staff member
Dont let anybody tell you what you "shouldnt" be getting.
For me it was this line...to me this line reads...ignore the advice of the experienced and do what you like...which IMO is a terrible message to send...there's nothing more valuable to a new keeper than the advice of the experienced...Just the fact that he's here asking shows he wants these opinions to help make the most educated choice...which is a good thing. Yep ultimately it is up to him, but he should take in the info to heart and not just do what he wants...that's not good for him and not good for the hobby as a whole...JMO.

I wish more newbs would let the experienced guide them rather than just doing what they like and walking into one mistake after the other.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
cause youre encouraging a beginner to get straight into P murinus ?
No, i simply said they are great t's and damn near indestructible.
I also warned major concerns as a heads up.

There is no correct way or time to break into OW ts, its a comfort level. Its not like you must own "this" and "that" in order to keep "these"..

The proper amount of research and configurability is all thats needed.

Feel free to disagree

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor

There is no correct way or time to break into OW ts, its a comfort level. Its not like you must own "this" and "that" in order to keep "these"..

Feel free to disagree
well, telling beginners to ignore good advice kind of counts.. every ones different, but for some one who's having trouble with a chalcodes, i think not..

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
For me it was this line...to me this line reads...ignore the advice of the experienced and do what you like...which IMO is a terrible message to send...there's nothing more valuable to a new keeper than the advice of the experienced...Just the fact that he's here asking shows he wants these opinions to help make the most educated choice...which is a good thing. Yep ultimately it is up to him, but he should take in the info to heart and not just do what he wants...that's not good for him and not good for the hobby as a whole...JMO.

I wish more newbs would let the experienced guide them rather than just doing what they like and walking into one mistake after the other.
Your post makes sense. I should have elaborated more i guess.

I simply feel that if a complete newb has its heart set on a poeci, for example, they should just go after it as their first t.
Do all the research possible. Watch tons of videos, read the bite reports. Know what youre signing up for.

Theres no real reason to repeatedly buy various ts to work up to that.

With a bit of awareness and common sense you can own anything you want really.

I know countless members, including myself, who skipped the common early on choices and have never had an escape, death, bite, or any other incident. All it takes is research, confidence, and respect for the spider

I simply feel that if a complete newb has its heart set on a poeci, for example, they should just go after it as their first or 2nd/ 3rd t.
Do all the research possible. Watch tons of videos, read the bite reports. Know what youre signing up for.

I know countless members, including myself, who skipped the common early on choices and have never had an escape, death, bite, or any other incident. All it takes is research, confidence, and respect for the spider

Last edited by a moderator:

cold blood

Staff member
I simply feel that if a complete newb has its heart set on a poeci, for example, they should just go after it as their first t.

Yeah I just disagree and that's fine, if we all had the exact viewpoints things would get pretty boring and stale. But just because it worked for you, doesn't mean its the best way or that others will share the same sentiments and success.

Its my opinion that research without experience leads to one thing...a false sense of confidence.

I've said it before, I would trust someone with a years experience with a few species over a person that's done a decade of research without any (or minimal) experience. Its my opinion that without proper experience, your research simply cannot be complete.

I appreciate your approach, choosing a conversation rather than a defensive posture so many seem quick to bear...so we may not agree, but I still respect your opinion. ;)

nburgmei

Arachnopeon

I can't disagree with this more. Research and confidence are great, and everyone should do their research before getting a new species, but nothing replaces experience. Knowing the habitat requirements and some facts about an OBT doesn't prepare you for any real life experience with them. There are numerous analogies to be had here.

You wouldn't stick someone that has only driven a Prius behind the wheel of a Ferrari and expect anything good to happen. Certainly not their first.
You wouldn't give someone that has only shot a 20 caliber handgun a S&W 500 for their second gun. Certainly not their first.
You wouldn't give someone that has only trained on Coluber spp. a Naja kaouthia for their second snake. Certainly not their first.

Research and experience prevent accidents. It's irresponsible to tell someone to jump right to an OBT immediately from an A. chalcodes. That being said, it's their money and their choice so they're free to do as they please.

Edited for grammar.

Last edited:

Hellblazer

Arachnosquire
I usually feel too hypocritical telling people when they should get into OWs, because my first T about 15 years ago was a P. murinus. I bought it as an adult and had it for about 5 years. I quickly realized how fast & defensive it was and was respectful and careful. Even though nothing bad ever happened, it honestly took some of the fun out of my first experience.
Many people can dive in and be OK, but I think the A. chalcodes bite proves that isn't the case here.

penngomifan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

Feel free to disagree
I agree with your post 100% How ever people will always justify there own opinions above others. Opinions vary and that is just fact. Anyways Like I already stated previously I owned quite a bit of tarantulas, Raised them NO Problems, and they were the quote on quote Non beginner species. Third Tarantula I ever owned was a Ceratogyrus darlingi Nasty she was made my 5th Tarantula I owned which was an OBT look like a saint. Tarantulas out of everything else I ever raised and owned as far as animals are concerned are by far the easiest.