1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

H Gigas swimming

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by HartleyD, Apr 22, 2012.

1. HartleyD

HartleyD Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Hi all

Was just wondering if it is usual for h Gigas to swim?

Has anyone got an enclosure set up with water for it to swim?

What sets them apart from other ts?

Can they drown?

Thanks in advance

2. Jared781

Jared781 Arachnobaron

3. You might want to take a look at robc's videos on the subject on YouTube there amazing!

4. advan

advan Nikonian Staff Member

What's the big deal with these swimming? I'm more interested in the arboreal ones that are 40ft up trees. ;)

5. GiantVinegaroon

GiantVinegaroon Arachnoprince

Yea. Forcing it into the water. Amazing stuff :sarcasm:

• Like Like x 4
  6. Jared781

Jared781 Arachnobaron

ahaha yeah i get where ya comin from... Although how can you simulate that? :p

7. Amoeba

Amoeba Arachnolord

He has some pretty neat shots of Ts but as GV said
    That one wasn't amazing.

8. I was referring to the tarantulas ability to swim, but ok that's cool jump down my throat... Jeez

9. GiantVinegaroon

GiantVinegaroon Arachnoprince

Wasn't trying to jump down your throat. I'm sorry if that came off as harsh to you.

10. Merfolk

Merfolk Arachnoprince Old Timer

Had a H mac in a sealed tank, and kind of dropped the bucked of water in it so I ended with a 3-4'' flood. The spider went up, then retreated down and went burrowing through the floating debris. She spent almost three days clinging underneath the bigger chunks, letting only the tip of a leg out, behaving like if it was in a dry burrow. It even tried to catch a cricket I send rafting but gave up and went to the very bottom where she spent hours (didn't keep a constant watch though). The dirt had divided between floating and sinking matter so I could clearly see her in the middle layer. As it dried, she reverted to her arboreal lifestyle. She died six months later : (

11. Shay

Shay Arachnopeon

bummer for the loss. i think those guys are fascinating

12. InvertFix

InvertFix Arachnobaron

I have an H. gigas that I give her a very large water dish to swim in if she chooses. But it's only in one corner of her enclosure. It's not often that I see her swimming, but she does in the wee hours of the morning. It's quite the site to behold. :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jared781

Jared781 Arachnobaron

I think he tries putting too much hype in his videos.. just in my opinion

and Im not saying his vids are bad... very interesting and informative

14. Jared781

Jared781 Arachnobaron

Thats smart.. i never thought of jus getting him.her a pool! :p

15. InvertFix

InvertFix Arachnobaron

Most of the time she stays in her burrow.... Well during the day. Thank goodness I'm an insomniac. ha!