H. Gigas Land/Water Vivarium Awesome !

creepa

Arachnoknight
That is one awsome drawing dude!, did you draw that with your feet?:tongue:

arachnidsrva

Arachnoknight
i think that many more drawings are in-store now. im going to do own my rendition of a pink toe this evening in color pencils

arachnidsrva

Arachnoknight
Thanks for the diss.

Thanks for the diss - Most appreciated !

I'll go ahead and add some updated pictures while we're at it -

so it's been a while... - the back of the tank has much more moss now - it's 10" deep and she's made a pretty awesome series of burrows and tunnels so i think she's much happier now as a T

i've been throwing in several crickets a week but the fish are also all gone. when i come home it's totally normal for her to haul tail back into one of her holes. There were 12-15 fish in the end part of March.

DSC_1850.jpg DSC_1852.jpg DSC_1853.jpg DSC_1854.jpg DSC_1855.jpg

arachnidsrva

Arachnoknight
These two pictures I took today when I got home - I looked in at her and realized she had a fish in her mouth.

I tried really hard to get a good shot - but to no success and within a couple minutes the fish was mush....

I later got her into a container but the head was liquid, I still don't even know how to take a close-up with this camera.

It came with a 28x300 mm lens but the auto focus drives me crazy. I need to take a class on this camera.
DSC_1865.jpg DSC_1866.jpg

Regardless....I promise I will get a good shot of that one day soon. She's got 10" of moss and plenty of humidity - and several live plants.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That is one awsome drawing dude!, did you draw that with your feet?:tongue:
lol... THAT was funny... shays drawing IS a good idea tho.

Anyway, glad to see the t is still alive..still like the cage too... whether or not its a RECOMMENDED enclosure, its proving functional and the t is doin seemingly fine. im just curious as to why the t still looks so small if it ate all the fish and crix... Keep us posted

arachnidsrva

Arachnoknight
im gonna add even more moss tomorrow - im gonna fill it to the top so there is 18" inches of moss from bottom to top

that would mean that her burrows would be as deep as a 20 gallon tall aquarium

I jammed a piece of acrylic down inside it a few weeks ago to separate the gravel from the moss -

she's actually really big - that enclosure is huge. some of the gigas I have get that real football shaped abdomen - some not as much

i'll take a picture of her tomorrow next to a quarter - she's gotta be atleast 7"

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
sorry then.. i was just referring to the abdomen size in post #45. could just be the angles... and sounds like it has plenty of room to do what ever it wants.. i like it... i hope your t lasts a long time in there.. its awesome to see something "unusual" working

Shay

Arachnopeon
right on man. IMO though you shouldnt keep adding moss and adding more and more because then it will always be trying to get used to its enclosure. but i could be wrong. it could be very comfy .. keep us updated :)

wesker12

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Awesome, awesome idea! I'm jealous :D
On thing though - Shay drew pretty much exactly what I was thinking! Moss is cool and all but isn't the best medium for burrowing, ya dig me?
Do the plexiglass wall with cocofiber/peat moss! That would shut the naysayers up pretty fast ahaha :)

Post more pictures! Try using a red light to view it at night so it doesn't get spooked as easy!
Good luck - I might have to try and replicate something similar when I have some time in summer (school gets out) ;)

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hey aaron, just popping in to see how the enclosure is going.. everything still good?

arachnidsrva

Arachnoknight
It's hard for me to spend time with the photographs/video/posts etc... which is why I havent updated it

I do exotic pet expos every weekend. I drive 10 hours sometimes to go vend at one.

Full Time Job - Unfinished Websites - Driving to Pet Expos - Shipping Them - Focusing on Breeding.... too much to do...

It was nice cruising back down 95 and zoning out on Chinese food and Netflix.

Now - The H gigas / enclosure - she's got moss tunnels that go almost all the way to the bottom of the enclosure. They have to be about 12 inches long

I added another waterfall, i was able to increase the land size and the amount of water, but now it's a little less gradual. (The gravel was at an angle sloping into the water)

There is a ton more moss.

She certainly makes good use of the enclosure - Infact, I did an experiment a few weeks ago. I took her out and put her in a 5 gallon filled with coco fiber.
She didnt do anything, she sat in the corner.... so I messed the moss up and put her back in the enclosure and she almost immediately went to town redesigning it.

Sometimes when I come home, I'll see her scampering up the moss to hide (she's always wet)

Also, I installed two tadpoles...by the time each of them got their rear legs - they disappeared. The first one on a Friday night, the other a few days later.

Now I want to catch this stuff on video, but I need it to have a motion sensor and some kind of night vision. Any suggestions? I need something I can just leave on and view later...

haha maybe we could even launch it live????

I was thinking after a while I could change a new gigas out every week or two... we could do an experiment with 10 and see what happens....

let me know!

- Aaron

Last edited:

AmysAnimals

Arachnobaron
hmmm this thread got heated for a while. While I don't totally agree with the idea of the enclosure for a T it looks nice for something else like a frog or something.

Also, I looked through this whole thread and at all the pictures...the T doesn't appear to be getting fatter. Maybe it's just the pics. Could you post current pics of the t?

I think if you keep feeding it fish it may pose a problem with molting so maybe just stick with crickets and roaches? I know I wouldn't feed my t's fish no matter what. It may look cool for them to go "fishing" but it's probably not the healthiest for them.

Anyways, good luck with that enclosure, I guess.

wesker12

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hmmm this thread got heated for a while. While I don't totally agree with the idea of the enclosure for a T it looks nice for something else like a frog or something.

Also, I looked through this whole thread and at all the pictures...the T doesn't appear to be getting fatter. Maybe it's just the pics. Could you post current pics of the t?

I think if you keep feeding it fish it may pose a problem with molting so maybe just stick with crickets and roaches? I know I wouldn't feed my t's fish no matter what. It may look cool for them to go "fishing" but it's probably not the healthiest for them.

Anyways, good luck with that enclosure, I guess.
why wouldn't fish be healthy?

---------- Post added 06-11-2012 at 01:52 AM ----------

Hmm as for motion sensitive cameras that are delicate enough to catch a t moving and allow be viewable with night vision would be expensive! Ill have one of my tech oriented friends give me a recommendation.

AmysAnimals

Arachnobaron
why wouldn't fish be healthy?

---------- Post added 06-11-2012 at 01:52 AM ----------

Hmm as for motion sensitive cameras that are delicate enough to catch a t moving and allow be viewable with night vision would be expensive! Ill have one of my tech oriented friends give me a recommendation.
Pardon me, as I seem to have made a mistake there. I could have SWORN I read fishies cause molt issues too. Guess not as I just read fish are fine to feed...just messy! Lol

Sorry my mistake!

arachnidsrva

Arachnoknight
anything with lots of calcium can cause the T to have a problem with molting.

I throw a few crickets in every week

A lot of people don't agree with this enclosure... but it has over 18 inches (deep of moss) and 24 inches of moss (left to right)

Most people MIGHT put an H gigas in a 10 gallon (mostly filled with dirt) The moss area alone is larger than a 10 gallon aquarium in size.

It has MORE than enough humidity and obviously all the water it needs.

This enclosure is overkill, but it's an experiment - which usually involves trying something out of the norm.
I'll try and post some image content in the next few days, I'd rather spend that time trying to figure out how to setup a badass camera. I was thinking I could actually mount it INSIDE of the enclosure (on the top)

FYI - my budget would be around 100 bux. also noted... I have a second mini-book that I could use for this purpose.

Also noted, I have two enclosures in this room - the humidity is improved vastly by the land/water setups in this room.

Last edited:

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It has everything it needs...except for substrate that it can actually burrow in. The experiment also doesn't confirm anything but observer bias.

arachnidsrva

Arachnoknight
she made tunnels in the back of the tank that are well over a foot deep - so i guess you could call them burrows

unless burrows can only be made out of dirt.

AngryMothNoises

Arachnosquire
This is rather amazing. I infact would like to try this some day! (but to find a way to add some substrate).

I think you should keep doing this. Its so differant! We need people to test stuff out like this. So untill the expearament ends. No one should really say "its a good idea" or "its a bad idea." Because no matter how well people may know how to care for a T. Any thing can happen.

=D keep it up!