H. Gigas Land/Water Vivarium Awesome !

arachnidsrva

Arachnoknight
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

So I put together this awesome Vivarium for two female H. Gigas!

The bigger one hustles out of the water when I come home as if she doesnt want me to catch her in the act. I'll find her moving up the glass covered in water droplets...

I put all the damn work into building the tank, I think I have the right to see her in action.

She will literally dive for Guppies, it's pretty crazy. It's startled me a few times already....

The waterfall is made by "Terra Fauna" I believe. It has a nice little pump with dual filters so it really provides that heavy trickle sound that I love falling asleep to. Oh and I bought it at Petco, I felt bad for spending a dime there...but it was the best deal i've found so far, for a quality product.

The third photo is a waterfall I purchased from an Expo... the setup is great and the waterfall may look more appealing, but it has no filtration built in...so after about a week the pump gets dirty and it slows to a slight trickle. WEAK

Late at night I can catch her through the glare of flatscreen tv - she'll be posted on the logabove the water, waiting for an easy kill.

I plan on loading up the back of the enclosure with fog moss, (it wont mold easily) that way she can start making burrows

Any suggestions on other T's that may tolerate water?

Last edited:

Boatman

Arachnosquire
I have a suggestion: I think you should make me one of those.

That's pretty awesome!...

creepa

Arachnoknight
She looks realy happy in her enclosure climbing the glass and all....:sarcasm:

I realy think you should put her in a bucket with a shedload of substrate

matt82

Arachnoknight
Nice!! I'd love tokeep one or two of these, just so I could try one of these water setups!!

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
She looks realy happy in her enclosure climbing the glass and all....:sarcasm:

I realy think you should put her in a bucket with a shedload of substrate
I agree with this. I think the spiders should have more land.

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That is a nice set up yes, but gigas are burrowing species. Keep the waterfall/little pond in there, but on the opposite side, is there anyway you can take out the pebbles, make a divider and put in moist peat moss or something else?

arachnidsrva

Arachnoknight
For the moment you've all been waiting for !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

1. for the people that said "awesome" - thanks!

2. for the people that said "thats a burrower" - i understand! thanks for the advice, I just needed time to finish it.

This will make everyone even more happy! But not me, well sort of...I'll never see her again.....

im gonna end up swapping it out with one of my big-ass Pokies I think. The gigas will probably go on the table at Hamburg next month...

What should I put in the second enclosure?????? What would you guys like to see?? I'll order whatever the majority vote is and take pictures

So that pile of fog moss is half of a large-sized box of the ExoTerra Brand. She's already made a tunnel system inside of it.

Of course, she hasn't come out since I made it. So the H. Gigas wins and now I have a pet terrarium with some guppies.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
What should I put in the second enclosure?????? What would you guys like to see?? I'll order whatever the majority vote is and take pictures
Maybe some newts or something if its going to have all that water.

At night I can hear her splashing around trying to catch guppies, I recently installed a log over-top
of the water, which she fishes from.

Im gonna leave my webcam setup to catch all the action of her fishing while I am at work!
I'm still waiting to see a good video of this.

These water set ups for tarantulas blow, and make no sense.

Later, Tom

arachnidsrva

Arachnoknight
If you have something that isnt nice to say, post it somewhere else. Go put on some Minor Threat and leave me be.

---------- Post added 03-23-2012 at 02:31 AM ----------

I like my waterfall, and I'll put a newt in it and name it after you.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
The bigger one hustles out of the water when I come home as if she doesnt want me to catch her in the act. I'll find her moving up the glass covered in water droplets...
Sounds like her wet legs are causing her to slip off the glass. Why do you think she hangs out in the water? Sounds like torture to me.

She will literally dive for Guppies, it's pretty crazy. It's startled me a few times already....
Video's, pics???

I put all the damn work into building the tank, I think I have the right to see her in action.
Since you have made these claims, so do we ;)

Later, Tom

---------- Post added 03-23-2012 at 02:45 AM ----------

If you have something that isnt nice to say, post it somewhere else. Go put on some Minor Threat and leave me be.

---------- Post added 03-23-2012 at 02:31 AM ----------

I like my waterfall, and I'll put a newt in it and name it after you.
My comments were offered as friendly advice, sorry if I came off offensive. I'll take your advice on the Minor Threat though lol. Name that newt TP :p

arachnidsrva

Arachnoknight
I don't have a video camera, or time to sit and wait for her to catch a fish on video. Usually i am at the desk next to her.

but it's rude people up your alley that will discourage me from posting further content on this site, you've stained my thread.
i wish i had never started it, im sure you feel the same mr. spiteful.

what do I owe you specifically anyways? Do you need me to buy you a little waterfall kit and maybe a little gravel? Is that the problem?

YouTube might be a better fit for you, they're a little bit more flexible with profanity and generally expect negative feedback from most comments.

maybe you can convince the mods on this site to make you a section called "debbie downer" - you can comment all day long on your own.

---------- Post added 03-23-2012 at 03:07 AM ----------

I just saw your last sentence just now. We're cool, sorry but I had to retort. You took this thread from cruising through the mountains to inner city traffic with one post.

It was pretty Martha Stewart, I admit...but you turned it into Richard Pryor.

I was always into D.R.I way more than anything else. Also noted:Minor Threat, Bad Brains, Agnostic Front and Cro Mags.

I am now at a point in my life where it is all way too loud.

Last edited:

Jared781

Arachnobaron
View attachment 100708 View attachment 100709 View attachment 100710 View attachment 100711

So I put together this awesome Vivarium for two female H. Gigas!

The waterfall is made by "Terra Fauna" I believe. It has a nice little pump with dual filters so it really provides that heavy trickle sound that I love falling asleep to. Oh and I bought it at Petco, I felt bad for spending a dime there...but it was the best deal i've found so far, for a quality product.

The third photo is a waterfall I purchased from an Expo... the setup is great and the waterfall may look more appealing, but it has no filtration built in...so after about a week the pump gets dirty and it slows to a slight trickle. WEAK

Late at night I can catch her through the glare of flatscreen tv - she'll be posted on the logabove the water, waiting for an easy kill.

I plan on loading up the back of the enclosure with fog moss, (it wont mold easily) that way she can start making burrows

Any suggestions on other T's that may tolerate water?
WOW!!!! thats sick! i love how a well done Viv/Ter is! lol

---------- Post added 03-26-2012 at 11:30 AM ----------

Quick question, why do you go the Malboro pack in there?? random but funnny!!!

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
This tank may work well for some fishing spiders (Dolomedes can be found in your area!) but I would say it is not very suitable for a tarantula to live in.While yes some tarantulas have been observed near water they are not aquatic by any means!Not trying to diss your thread here but do your spider a favor and give it some dirt!hehe!
-Chris

arachnidsrva

Arachnoknight
i plan on changing it up quite a bit. i caught her underwater yesterday when i got home - she had the remains of guppies in her grasp
im gonna upload some pics tonight

i want something similar to dirt that she can burrow in, i switched her into the less arboreal setup with more land and more moss

---------- Post added 03-26-2012 at 06:49 PM ----------

WOW!!!! thats sick! i love how a well done Viv/Ter is! lol

---------- Post added 03-26-2012 at 11:30 AM ----------

Quick question, why do you go the Malboro pack in there?? random but funnny!!!
i put the marlboro pack in there for reference to show how big it is in comparison

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I bet if you search some ponds/lakes in your area this summer you could find something like this:

arachnidsrva

Arachnoknight
Oh holy diver

Holy Diver
You've been down too long in the midnight sea
Oh what's becoming of me
Ride the tiger
You can see his stripes but you know he's clean
Oh don't you see what I mean
Gotta get away Holy Diver
Shiny diamonds
Like the eyes of a cat in the black and blue
Something is coming for you
Race for the morning
You can hide in the sun 'till you see the light
Oh we will pray it's all right
Gotta get away-get away

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

Between the velvet lies
There's a truth that's hard as steel
The vision never dies
Life's a never ending wheel
Holy Diver
You're the star of the masquerade
No need to look so afraid
Jump on the tiger
You can feel his heart but you know he's mean
Some light can never be seen

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Great pics of a Hysterocrates under water for sure. I still think if she had some dirt she can burrow in , she would choose to hide there in stead of fleeing to water. And these pictures don't really prove that ..."She will literally dive for Guppies"

Again, my comments are not meant to be offensive or rude, I just say what I think. I am not denying that they are water tolerant but, until I see a video or pics of this species actively and free willing entering the water without the owners encouragement, I just won't understand why people keep them this way. I'm all for experimenting with new and innovative ways to keep animals, but I don't think they will reproduce successfully in this type set up. To me , happy animals in captivity, are the one's that reproduce in captivity. Hysterocrates are not difficult to breed in captivity in the simple set ups I've kept them in over the years.

later, Tom

P.S. I think Dio stinks too haha;P

Last edited:

arachnidsrva

Arachnoknight
shes got a bunch of moss tunnels in the new enclosure which she seems to love. i didn't force her into the water i've caught her in there a few times

the water is about 80 degrees, the neat part is that the guppies keep breeding, but also keep being eaten. im gonna pull her out soon because the fish diet
won't really help her molt very well.

i need to figure out something similar to dirt that won't mess up the water - i need stuff that won't mold due to the water, the fog moss is good
my main goal is to get these tanks full of live plants...

i have a few pairs of gigas now and im working on a couple sac's - but here at home i only have a few setups - specifically for looking pretty

Last edited by a moderator:

arachnidsrva

Arachnoknight
H. gigas -

So i made a gigantic pile of fog moss - which the H. Gigas has been working on for several days now - she has a perfect hole in the middle - and you can see the tunnel system through both sides of the glass

So earlier my back was turned - and I heard a splash.

I was able to get one shot off before she crawled onto the plant... she was not a fan of the flash and me turning the lights on in the apartment -but shes not back in her burrow yet.. im assuming she's hungry ... look at how tiny her bum is - she's hanging in the plant still... i restocked larger fish in there and a salamander earlier today

a lot of the wild-caught stuff that rolls in always looks underfed and skinny.

12.jpg 13.jpg

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
So i made a gigantic pile of fog moss - which the H. Gigas has been working on for several days now - she has a perfect hole in the middle - and you can see the tunnel system through both sides of the glass
Can we see pics of that? I'd like to see her in her tunnel system.

So earlier my back was turned - and I heard a splash.
She was prob attempting suicide. lol
a lot of the wild-caught stuff that rolls in always looks underfed and skinny.
or dying.

I agree many captive spiders are over weight , but that spider looks hungry to me.

Later, Tom