H.Chilensis struggling to climb plastic

CrimsonAria

Arachnopeon
Bought a homoeomma chilensis sling from a show today and rehoused it into a new enclosure, it has spent time slowly plodding around it climbing on the cork bark absolutely and keeps trying to climb the sides of the enclosure getting so high and falling off, the substrate is quite high so not worried about it injuring itself, just wondering if not being able to climb the plastic is anything to be worried about

Thekla

Arachnoprince
It could be in premoult. Please post pictures of the T and its enclosure.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Agree with @Thekla. Their toes will lose grip when they are in premoult and they will have a harder time climbing.

Arachnanoob95

Arachnopeon
Mine do that too. They are really active and just always climbing the sides. And sometimes fall off as well. Not sure if they are in premoult or just lost their grip. I guess time will tell.

brahn

Arachnopeon
I haven't kept these very long, but I do have two slings, one of which just molted a few days ago.
I actually see the exact same thing with both of mine, they seem incapable of climbing plastic or acrylic, at least without webbing it up first.

This might actually be fairly common in this species (or slings of this species), would be great to hear others who've kept this species for longer.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
No pics, no help

I haven't kept these very long, but I do have two slings, one of which just molted a few days ago.
I actually see the exact same thing with both of mine, they seem incapable of climbing plastic or acrylic, at least without webbing it up first.

This might actually be fairly common in this species (or slings of this species), would be great to hear others who've kept this species for longer.

I’ve raised these from slings. They can climb acrylic, plastics etc without webbing it.

I’ve never owned a T of any part of the world
that couldn’t climb anything used to keep them, glass plastic etc.

Now olive oil on the side, that prevents their climbing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tommydragon10

Arachnopeon
Back when I got my first 2 T's I believed they couldn't climb plexiglass walls (HA! Shows how much I knew back then). They would try and get most of their legs onto the glass then fall off. This was a common occurrence for around 2 weeks then one night they just started crawling up the walls like it was no big deal. I know 1 of my Ts had molted right before I got it so Im
not sure if that had anything to do with it but you never know.