H. chilensis incoming, excitement palpable :o

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Yeah, I'm a dumbass.
Why are you continuing to blame yourself? You are not a dumbass. You specifically asked to confirm that what you were buying was Homoeomma chilensis and they lied bold faced to you that it was. You did your due diligence and I don't understand why you feel you have to own any part of this.

I was thinking about this :/ I was completely unfamiliar with this species before today. Kind of a rude way to find out about it, but hey! At least I know.
I don't know what the going price US is for this species. Do you know who else is selling it? I checked my usual favorite vendors and have some emails out, but I haven't found anything yet.
If I paid $65cdn, then that would be about $50usd, so you actually paid far more than double. They are not a common species, so you probably won't see many others selling them. I jumped all over them, because I have a mad love for all Euathlus species and get every species I can, but the average person probably wouldn't be lining up for this species. Part of the reason that they were trying to pawn them off as Homoeomma chilensis, most likely.

In case you end up keeping yours, they are a lovely species. Keep them just like any other spiderling, a bit moister than adults. Neither of mine have ever burrowed, but they climb the sides of their enclosures all the time. I've even found them on the underside of the lid, so give them plenty of substrate.
They will probably top out at about 3-3.5". Slow growing, but mine have had awesome appetites. They will readily take meal worm chunks or dead crickets/cricket parts.
DSC06108-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
The vendor pointed out that the description read that the species was Euathlus condorito, and I admit that I was too panicked and excited to read through it thoroughly. However, I do feel the title of the listing was misleading, and I pointed that out to the vendor and asked them to change it to include the correct species name so other people would not make the same mistake. The vendor proceeded to argue with me about it. I don't know if they will change the listing.

I have a hard time believing that a vendor of tarantulas would fail to understand that including a common name and genus name that everyone associates with a completely different tarantula (one that is much in demand and hard to find right now at that) in the listing title would be confusing. Not including a photo of the species on the listing also did not help.

If they had not, the fact that I specifically mentioned H chilensis in my follow up message to confirm that they actually had them in stock should have been a bit of a clue, I think. Why didn't they correct me to make sure that they were shipping me a tarantula that I actually wanted?

In any case, I will own my part of the mistake. I did not read the description thoroughly. I was excited and panicked and I had gotten out of bed to place my order because I didn't want to miss out, which I noted in my follow up message to them. Yeah, I'm a dumbass. However, I don't agree that the name of the listing was clear at all about what was being sold.

After some back and forth, the vendor offered to allow a return with a 10% restocking fee. I appreciate that, but by this point I've named the little thing and I might just keep it as a visual reminder to be patient and more careful in the future.
I wish you happiness and success with your new T — it looks like a lovely species and one I was completely unfamiliar with. However, I do hope that you get some money back and be sure to leave a review for this dealer! They lied to you, especially when you e-mailed to clarify their confusing ad! That is fraud and inexcusable. :shifty:

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
@CommanderBacon currently no one is selling this locality in the USA

This locality is quite rare in the USA hobby. I was going to buy it before you as you know. However the misleading description gave me pause. This species of T isn't even characterized yet so who knows what it really is. Just enjoy it. Given it's scarcity in US collections, the price is not surprising.

When sp Yellow and sp Red were "common", slings were 20-25$, I bought an AF E sp Red for only 65$, now slings are that price. AFs run 150$ due to borders closing it seems.

The only downside to your purchase is that you may never find someone to breed it with here. They do exist in Europe if I recall, but how frequently I cannot say.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
This whole thing with Euathlus is an absolute nightmare. Most of the species in the hobby have been misnamed from the get go. I have spent hours going back and forth with people in Chile, experts in their native tarantulas, to try and properly identify the species that I have. Trying to wrap your head around it is mind boggling. I will probably go through the exact same exercise when my Euathlus condorito reach a size where they are showing their adult markings too... because I question every single Euathlus species now.
It is a really crappy thing for someone to try and capitalize on that confusion by putting together some fictitious blurb stating that all of these species are commonly referred to as 'Species Red' when that has never happened. The statement that "We believe 'Species Red' could include a dozen or more separate species." is an absolute crock and not a very good one at that.
To try and fleece people out of a substantial amount of money, not to mention the huge let down they experience, is fraudulent and just a really sleazy way to conduct business - basically hoping that people are confused enough to let you rip them off and then tell them it was their fault.
This hobby doesn't need sellers like that. I really do hope that people will think twice about supporting this seller.

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
You're being so kind to say that it is misleading, because that is an understatement. The blurb that you attached the photo of is basically a work of fiction that the seller has thrown together to cover their butts. They knew exactly what they were doing.
I agree, I was just adding more context. Also surprising given the seller, as I've usually only seen positive things posted about them on here.

This species of T isn't even characterized yet so who knows what it really is. Just enjoy it. Given it's scarcity in US collections, the price is not surprising.
As far as the publications are concerned, Euathlus condorito is a described and accepted species. Is this not the case?

See: The Andean tarantulas Euathlus Ausserer, 1875, Paraphysa Simon, 1892 and Phrixotrichus Simon, 1889 (Araneae: Theraphosidae): phylogenetic analysis, genera redefinition and new species descriptions, Perefán & Pérez-Miles, Journal of Natural History 2014.

Last edited:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I agree, I was just adding more context. Also surprising given the seller, as I've usually only seen positive things posted about them on here.

As far as the publications are concerned, Euathlus condorito is a described and accepted species. Is this not the case?

See: The Andean tarantulas Euathlus Ausserer, 1875, Paraphysa Simon, 1892 and Phrixotrichus Simon, 1889 (Araneae: Theraphosidae): phylogenetic analysis, genera redefinition and new species descriptions, Perefán & Pérez-Miles, Journal of Natural History 2014.[/user]
It absolutely is the case and it has never been anything else other than Euathlus condorito in the hobby. This species has only been around a short time and only entered the hobby on a large scale after being properly described. At no point was this species in question in the hobby, or thought to be a misidentified Homoeomma. Neither has it ever been called 'Species Red' or 'Dwarf Chile Flame'. To my knowledge, it has never been given a common name. Euathlus condorito has not been associated with any of those descriptions until this seller decided to ad in 'Condorito' to a Homeoeomma chilensis ad.
I understand people not wanting to be stuck with a bunch of tarantulas that they can't sell, or make a profit from. I've owned my own business and I get it. However, you have to sometimes take a loss on speculating on a product that ends up being less of a hot seller than you thought it would be and sell them discounted if you are in a hurry to have them out of stock. Putting together some not-so-elaborate ruse to dishonestly sell them as something they aren't should never be an option for an ethical business owner.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

See: The Andean tarantulas Euathlus Ausserer, 1875, Paraphysa Simon, 1892 and Phrixotrichus Simon, 1889 (Araneae: Theraphosidae): phylogenetic analysis, genera redefinition and new species descriptions, Perefán & Pérez-Miles, Journal of Natural History 2014.
Excellent point....B. hamorri was once in the Euathlus genus as well. It's a genus that is a bit of a dumping ground in my limited opinion.... just like E. sp. Red, and E. sp. Yellow.

However, you are correct, it's known as E condorito, until someone reclassifies it perhaps.

However, Perez-Miles does good work in my limited opinion as well, so I trust his work.

@CommanderBacon Who was the seller?

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
Excellent point....B. hamorri was once in the Euathlus genus as well. It's a genus that is a bit of a dumping ground in my limited opinion.... just like E. sp. Red, and E. sp. Yellow.

However, you are correct, it's known as E condorito, until someone reclassifies it perhaps.

However, Perez-Miles does good work in my limited opinion as well, so I trust his work.
Yes, Euathlus has been a bit of a dumping ground historically. However, this particular paper uses phylogenetics as well as a morphological analysis in order to classify (and re-classify) the species examined within. E. condorito palpal bulb and spermathecae morphology is also very similar to the other Euathlus species shown in the paper (E. antai, E. atacama, E. manicata, E. truculentus, and E. parvulus).

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
@CommanderBacon Who was the seller?
I was trying not to call them out by name because I hate drama and I wasn't expecting any of this today, but everyone keeps PMing me about it: the vendor was <edit>. This was my first purchase from them. I've heard great things and I was really excited to finally be able to order the crown jewel of my collection from them.

The listing did not have a photo and this wall of text was really small on my phone (cached version attached) and I admit that I did not read it. I frantically opened my laptop to order because the Add To Cart button wasn't working on my phone, but it still didn't work from the item page on my laptop, so I sent a panicked email via the Contact Us form. Then I navigated to the home page, found the general listing page (where it didn't have a breakdown or photo of what I was buying, but it had big red letters!), and was finally able to add it and finish my order. The "condorito" bit threw me off, but everything else sounded about right, so I went for it.

When I was done, I felt silly about sending my crazy person email, so I sent an inquiry to apologize for panicking and say that I had purchased H chilensis and ask if the listing was a mistake. This might have been a good time to correct me, but that didn't happen.

We've gone back and forth via email all day today, and I'm exhausted. I don't need or want to be right, I just asked them to please change the listing so it clearly said what it was selling - Euathlus condorito - so no one else would make this mistake. I wasn't expecting to get so much pushback over it.

I'm keeping my new leg son COOL RANCH Euathlus conDORITOS, though. His middle name is "PATIENCE", which is what I'm going to need to wait for H. chilensis slings to become available.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yes, Euathlus has been a bit of a dumping ground historically. However, this particular paper uses phylogenetics as well as a morphological analysis in order to classify (and re-classify) the species examined within. E. condorito palpal bulb and spermathecae morphology is also very similar to the other Euathlus species shown in the paper (E. antai, E. atacama, E. manicata, E. truculentus, and E. parvulus).
This is true, which is why I mentioned I trust Perez-Miles ;)

I was trying not to call them out by name because I hate drama and I wasn't expecting any of this today, but everyone keeps PMing me about it: the vendor was <edit>. This was my first purchase from them. I've heard great things and I was really excited to finally be able to order the crown jewel of my collection from them.

The listing did not have a photo and this wall of text was really small on my phone (cached version attached) and I admit that I did not read it. I frantically opened my laptop to order because the Add To Cart button wasn't working on my phone, but it still didn't work from the item page on my laptop, so I sent a panicked email via the Contact Us form. Then I navigated to the home page, found the general listing page (where it didn't have a breakdown or photo of what I was buying, but it had big red letters!), and was finally able to add it and finish my order. The "condorito" bit threw me off, but everything else sounded about right, so I went for it.

When I was done, I felt silly about sending my crazy person email, so I sent an inquiry to apologize for panicking and say that I had purchased H chilensis and ask if the listing was a mistake. This might have been a good time to correct me, but that didn't happen.

We've gone back and forth via email all day today, and I'm exhausted. I don't need or want to be right, I just asked them to please change the listing so it clearly said what it was selling - Euathlus condorito - so no one else would make this mistake. I wasn't expecting to get so much pushback over it.

I'm keeping my new leg son COOL RANCH Euathlus conDORITOS, though. His middle name is "PATIENCE", which is what I'm going to need to wait for H. chilensis slings to become available.

Personally I think you have a great sling coming your way. Now this species fate rests in your hands for now, unless we get some more from Europe, then you have to breed, assuming all those stars align.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
For what you paid for that Euathlus condorito - you should be sent another one for free.
I don't know what the 'cake' emoji means, but I would be needing a big piece of cake if I went through what you have today, so I thought it was a good one to use.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It’s not COOL RANCH’s fault that he’s not an H. chilensis! He’s just trying to liiive!
Hope it's a female that way you have a longer period of time to hope for more of these to arrive at some point, don't hold your breath!

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter

I don’t think it’s drama on your part but rather that you are right to call them out. It is important for the community to have honest reports and feedback.

I am shocked <edit> as I started buying from them on recommendation and have had only good experiences with them myself. I cannot fathom what they were thinking here and am sad that you were treated this way. :(

It’s not COOL RANCH’s fault that he’s not an H. chilensis! He’s just trying to liiive!
He’s a beautiful little sling! :happy:

dmac

Arachnopeon
I believe I posted about that listing some time ago. I had been looking for more H. chilensis and found the <edit> listing claiming sp. Red could be a dozen or whatever species and was very skeptical, so came here to ask. Haven't checked their site in a while and didn't realize that listing was back up. That's unfortunate. :(

But glad the T you did get is sweet!

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ah yes, I remember living in LA, where a 3” spider might not be able to squeeze in your apartment.