H.carolinensis surprise!!

Christoph27

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone, so i went out beside my house the other night after a thunderstorm to search for some spooders. I was pretty excited when I picked up a small piece of wood to use as a log turner i noticed something move a few inches away from it. The movement came from this beautiful female Hogna Carolinensis.
20180601_025508.jpg
I scooped her up in my catch cup with no problems. When i got her in the enclosure and had better light to see her i noticed her abdomen looked a bit different than the others ive came across. I placed some leaf litter, water dish, etc. and left her to check out her new home. The next day i noticed she had burrowed under a leaf but left me a convenient view window against the enclosure wall. Last night i went to attempt a feed and saw this in her burrow.
20180615_022824.jpg
She was gravid!
This will be my 2nd H.carolinensis eggsac. Number one was a small success, once they moved off mommas back i released them in the forest near our house.The female died the day after i released the little ones, i have a few speculations but cant say im positive why it happened. When it comes down to it i believe nature happens... in good ways and not as good but still necessary ways. With life there is death.. so with that said I believe ill attempt the same thing but record the process this go around.
Even though its a fairly common species I dont see many around our area, so i was expecting the usual R.rabida but this beautiful girl was a very pleasantly unexpected surprise for what i normally find. All in all im glad i didnt let a little rain keep me inside.

wolfs79

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hey everyone, so i went out beside my house the other night after a thunderstorm to search for some spooders. I was pretty excited when I picked up a small piece of wood to use as a log turner i noticed something move a few inches away from it. The movement came from this beautiful female Hogna Carolinensis.
View attachment 278168
I scooped her up in my catch cup with no problems. When i got her in the enclosure and had better light to see her i noticed her abdomen looked a bit different than the others ive came across. I placed some leaf litter, water dish, etc. and left her to check out her new home. The next day i noticed she had burrowed under a leaf but left me a convenient view window against the enclosure wall. Last night i went to attempt a feed and saw this in her burrow.
View attachment 278180
She was gravid!
This will be my 2nd H.carolinensis eggsac. Number one was a small success, once they moved off mommas back i released them in the forest near our house.The female died the day after i released the little ones, i have a few speculations but cant say im positive why it happened. When it comes down to it i believe nature happens... in good ways and not as good but still necessary ways. With life there is death.. so with that said I believe ill attempt the same thing but record the process this go around.
Even though its a fairly common species I dont see many around our area, so i was expecting the usual R.rabida but this beautiful girl was a very pleasantly unexpected surprise for what i normally find. All in all im glad i didnt let a little rain keep me inside.

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Correct on genus, species impossible without ventral. the 'broad-carapace band' group needs revision

The underside of sepuch's abdomen is black which made me wonder if that was why this spider was id'd as H. caro. Who knows? Like you stated: No ventral pic.

Last edited:

Christoph27

Arachnopeon
Thank you for the identification correction. Its why i post here. ( i was going off a short internet search). Id only seen this species a couple of times and thought it look somewhat different but didn't look much into. The first female was a " let's put you here so you dont get stepped on" thing then the next day, boom...eggsac. so i just went with it looking into the wolf spider group instead of specifics. Thanks guys.