H.arizonensis kept communal?

T.ass-mephisto

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They do "experiment" with some things, but not really with the scorps. that I know of, unless they do now. Did a search awhile back, learning what I could about them, and figured they were a good place to buy from. But then, like we saw, trouble with orders lately, so still not too sure.
when you say experiment what do you mean exactly? cuz my mind always goes to the evil scientists underground lair where he is building an army of super powered scorpions and t's !!!! but that can't be right can it?

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
when you say experiment what do you mean exactly? cuz my mind always goes to the evil scientists underground lair where he is building an army of super powered scorpions and t's !!!! but that can't be right can it?
i'm sure he's probably refferring to behavioral studies and research experiments to learn more about their natural history. though the mad scientist thing would definitely be interesting....

john

deserthairy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Was my first impression, too. Can't really remember. Was after a search here.
The owner his name might have been Chuck?, was saying what all they did (but nothing really to scorps at that time) They do milk some spieces for venom, and sell it. Will have to find the thread, and read it again. Think it was from a few yrs. ago.

deserthairy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Actually, real busy at the moment, and don't have time to search, and re-read, so if any of the above is wrong, please call me out on it. My memory has been fading, so I might not have the facts straight. I know they do sell venom, preserved specimens, etc.

T.ass-mephisto

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
its an informative thread cmart. but i still like my theory about scientists breeding a scorpion army capable of dominating the world. but that is just me.
;)

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
typically there are three ways that people who do toxin research extract venom from scorpions for analysis, anti venoms, etc.

1. the old fashioned way used to milk snakes. stretch a soft material over a container and coax the scorpion into stinging thru the synthetic skin and injecting venom into the vial. this way is very ineffective and yeilds minimal results and so is seldom used

2. using electricity, wires are used to create a current through the telson that causes the venom glands to spasm and release venom. this is highly stressful to the scorpion, but leaves it alive to harvest again although it does have the disadvantage of still producing a somewhat small amount of venom

3. the third method that is used is to remove the telson from the scorpion and insert it into a centrifuge until the venom is separated from the rest of the tissue. this means handicapping and more than likely killing the scorpion, but if i recall correctly produces the most venom out of the methods, and i seem to remember this being the most common practice.

its been a few years since i learned this, so someone with a better memory than me feel free to correct any errors i made.

John

cmart822331

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
are you saying, if i were to order scorps from spiderpharm, it could be missing its telson? or could have had to endure electric shock?

T.ass-mephisto

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
typically there are three ways that people who do toxin research extract venom from scorpions for analysis, anti venoms, etc.

1. the old fashioned way used to milk snakes. stretch a soft material over a container and coax the scorpion into stinging thru the synthetic skin and injecting venom into the vial. this way is very ineffective and yeilds minimal results and so is seldom used

2. using electricity, wires are used to create a current through the telson that causes the venom glands to spasm and release venom. this is highly stressful to the scorpion, but leaves it alive to harvest again although it does have the disadvantage of still producing a somewhat small amount of venom

3. the third method that is used is to remove the telson from the scorpion and insert it into a centrifuge until the venom is separated from the rest of the tissue. this means handicapping and more than likely killing the scorpion, but if i recall correctly produces the most venom out of the methods, and i seem to remember this being the most common practice.

its been a few years since i learned this, so someone with a better memory than me feel free to correct any errors i made.

John
you know that bothers me sooo much not only because of the treatment of the animal. but because its a scorpion nobody says anything about it! i'm soo sick of ethical treatment of animals only being for the "cute" ones!
my scorps are damn cute! sry to go off there.....

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
you know that bothers me sooo much not only because of the treatment of the animal. but because its a scorpion nobody says anything about it! i'm soo sick of ethical treatment of animals only being for the "cute" ones!
my scorps are damn cute! sry to go off there.....
you think mammals dont get subjected to messed up stuff? they get equally worse. sure some scorpions are killed in order to harvest venom, but there are no shortage of them, and the population is not even scratched by the small numbers needed for the research to produce lifesaving antivenom.

T.ass-mephisto

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
you think mammals dont get subjected to messed up stuff? they get equally worse. sure some scorpions are killed in order to harvest venom, but there are no shortage of them, and the population is not even scratched by the small numbers needed for the research to produce lifesaving antivenom.
no i know it doesn't hurt the populations or anything like that. the thing that bugs me is nobody wants to worry about animals that arn't cute and cuddly and easily marketable. does that make any sense? but yes i realize that they prob breed the animal for that purpose. however even though the amount of venom would be minimal IMO i do think it is the better option to milk them as opposed to maiming or torturing them(and yes i do realize that it is not considered torture. however if your left arm produced vemon and we cut it off or repeatedly electrified you, you may disagree) and i apologize for going off on my little tangent. anddon't worry i am not some crazed animal rights activist either.

deserthairy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
"are you saying, if i were to order scorps from spiderpharm, it could be missing its telson? "

Not from spiderpharm.