H. arizonensis enclosure help

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
Hey everyone. I am going to start setting up a 10 gallon aquarium for my Desert hairy and was wondering a couple things.

First, what ratio of sand to excavator clay should I mix in to create the substrate? I have plenty of both.

Second, and most important, I have 2 10 gallons to choose from. One has a UTH permanently affixed to the bottom and the other doesn't. With the excavator clay in place would it be safe to use the UTH equipped tank? I know typically any heat pad should be on the side. I figured since there won't be as much burrowing that it might be ok to use after all. Thoughts?

Thanks for any and all help!

HaPhaCentr

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone. I am going to start setting up a 10 gallon aquarium for my Desert hairy and was wondering a couple things.

First, what ratio of sand to excavator clay should I mix in to create the substrate? I have plenty of both.

Second, and most important, I have 2 10 gallons to choose from. One has a UTH permanently affixed to the bottom and the other doesn't. With the excavator clay in place would it be safe to use the UTH equipped tank? I know typically any heat pad should be on the side. I figured since there won't be as much burrowing that it might be ok to use after all. Thoughts?

Hi there I think this video will help

HaPhaCentr

Arachnopeon
I use a heat pad they love the heat during the day light and enjoy the fresh of the night always I keep a water supply and usually drink one day of the hole week

RTTB

Arachnoprince
Undertank heat I would advise against. They do fine at room temp btw.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
Undertank heat I would advise against. They do fine at room temp btw.
Yeah normally I wouldn't worry about heat but the room it's in only gets about 65 during the winter. I just want to boost it enough to stay low 70s. Thanks though! I do have the other tank so I'll most likely use that.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +

30/70 excavator clay/sand mix.
If you must use a heat pad, affix it to the side or back, not the bottom.

@HaPhaCentr if your heat pad is on the bottom move it to the back or side. The Video you posted is also not 100% accurate.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
30/70 excavator clay/sand mix.
If you must use a heat pad, affix it to the side or back, not the bottom.

@HaPhaCentr if your heat pad is on the bottom move it to the back or side. The Video you posted is also not 100% accurate.
Ok, thank you! I'm glad I held off for the weekend then. It will give me something fun to do saturday.

Salmon

Arachnopeon
Under tank heaters and thick, cakey substrate are generally a bad combination. Make sure that baby gets a gentle misting at the entrance to its burrow every now and again and DO provide a water bowl, even though some people will say they don't need them.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
Under tank heaters and thick, cakey substrate are generally a bad combination. Make sure that baby gets a gentle misting at the entrance to its burrow every now and again and DO provide a water bowl, even though some people will say they don't need them.
Thank You! I'm definitely not using the one with the UTH. Guess I'll just have to use it for something else.
I definitely will be adding a water dish. For now I just spray a little on the cork flat it uses as a hide.