1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

H. Arizonensis / Desert Hairy moulting ideas. opinions/help pls!

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by axeline, Sep 9, 2019.

1. axeline

axeline Arachnopeon

Sweden
    Advertisement
    Hi!

I’m a bit new to scorpions, but have kept a heterometrus sp. for a few months now and have been looking into the next species I’ll be getting which is a desert hairy and a devil scorpion (spinigerus)

The devil seems easy enough and I feel like I got that down, and same for desert hairy. The only struggle I’m facing for the desert hairy is what everyone seems to have a problem with: the moulting.

I’ve been reading around A Lot and seen some tricks others seem to be doing, and has also thought of a solution that I haven’t seen anyone mention. So I guess what I’m asking for with this post is if I’m on the right track, or if any of this is a big no go.

I’ve seen what scorpionluva has done with the solo-cup thing, which I will attempt. I’ve also seen someone use a pipe with some holes in the bottom on the side that goes all the way down to the bottom of the substrate to trickle some water into occasionally to replicate the difference in moisture levels the species experience in the wild, this I will also attempt as well as the cup thing.

I will be putting in a water dish as well, both for the scorpion and for the feigning death beetles I’ll hopefully get my hands on (bit difficult to find in sweden, but I’m waiting for a reply from a local website that could possibly get me some).

The other thing that I haven’t seen anyone mention trying, and that my roommate (whos very into tarantulas and plants) suggested is trying to put some LECA balls (which is used for plants a lot) in the very bottom of the substrate and trickle some droplets of water down there via the pipe thing to keep the bottom a bit moister and the rest dryer and then the scorpion can dig around and see where it’s most comfortable and where it wants to moult. I’ll be giving it as deep of a substrate as possible as well.

Of course it’s easier to just get an adult, and I’ll be trying to get that, but if I find a younger one I’ll still get it which is why I’m preparing for handling the moulting.

So, am I on the right track? Is anything a no go? Should I do all of this, or only one or two?

Thankful for answers! ♡

2. darkness975

darkness975 dream reaper Arachnosupporter

I would not keep death feigning beetles with young scorpions. They could be eaten when they molt.

• Like Like x 1