1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guinea Pigs and Phasmids?

Discussion in 'Not So Spineless Wonders' started by Godzillaalienfan1979, May 26, 2018.

1. Godzillaalienfan1979

Godzillaalienfan1979 Arachnoknight

Advertisement
    Hi, all

So I was going to purchase some Phasmids-more specifically, Lichen MacLeay's Spectres. For photography class I wanted to portray a contrast and similarity-something cute, fluffy and fat sitting next to a lanky, hideous spiky thing-but also a similarity, since both are peaceful vegetarians. Now, I was wondering-for this photo (and this photo ONLY-no interspecies habitat mixing here), could they sit side-by-side and be cool with each other? The Guinea Pig is very docile, calm, and likes sitting still for long periods of time, and (obviously) the same goes for the Spectres-so, could these two get along for like 50 seconds?

2. Depends on the personality of your guinea, and the size of the phasmid relative to the guinea. I would personally not risk it, but I know it can be done. I’d venture to give it a couple test try’s and introductions, poke the idea and stuff. If the guinea shows interest in biting or eating the phasmid, pull the insect away, and don’t try again.

3. The Snark

The Snark هرج و مرج مهندس Old Timer

That's no way to speak of your GPs. :shy:

Do like they do in labs. Visually separate the animals by a clear divider and let them get used to each other. Use screens to allow animals to get used to each others scents. Observe behavior of both and eventually, with a catch assistant present if deemed necessary, allow them together.

This is a very commonly used method to introduce potential breeding mates as well as co-habitants. I recently read of them using it to protect male Salticids for breeding. Used for all sorts of animals such as domestic pets, livestock and so forth. Also used to promote cohabitation between a predator and potential prey.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  4. Mirandarachnid

Mirandarachnid Arachnoknight

Texas
    Maybe don't have them sitting right next to each other? Like, put the phasmid on a branch above/behind/in front of the guinea pig, maybe?

You could also use that as an opportunity to accentuate the contrast, have the phasmid on a gnarly looking branch and the guinea pig sitting on some lush grass?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Otteresting

Otteresting Arachnoknight

France
    As long as your phasmid does not looks like a leaf, he should be okay :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Godzillaalienfan1979

Godzillaalienfan1979 Arachnoknight

That's a great idea, I like it! Thanks!

• Like Like x 1