1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guess the age of the G. pulchra!

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by nurunuru, Jul 17, 2017.

1. nurunuru

nurunuru Arachnopeon

US
    Advertisement
    Just got this little beaut at a reptile show yesterday, and was wondering if anyone with pulchra experience wanted to hazard a guess at her (hopefully her) age!

The person I bought her from had only had her a coupla months, so she didn't know for sure. DLS appears to be 2" on the button.

Obviously, the usual variables come into play with regards to age and size, but... Whaddaya reckon?

Attached Files:

• deli.jpg
      deli.jpg
      File size:
      539.6 KB
      Views:
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Walker253

Walker253 Arachnobaron Active Member

Too many variables to factor in. Temperature and feeding rate being the big ones. Maybe a year or so. Does it matter?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. nurunuru

nurunuru Arachnopeon

US
    Nope! Doesn't matter a jot. Just curious what ballpark figure people familiar with the species were thinking. I'm inclined to think at least 2 years old. Maybe more.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Walker253

Walker253 Arachnobaron Active Member

They do grow ssllloooowwwww

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tim Benzedrine

Tim Benzedrine Prankster Possum Arachnosupporter

Mine at roughly 2 years of age... it was 3/4 inch, maybe an inch when it arrived...

m_IMG_5599crop.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tim Benzedrine

Tim Benzedrine Prankster Possum Arachnosupporter

Crap. Misread that as G. pulchripes. Nevermind!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Phases

Phases Arachnosquire

Well I have at least 1 one inch T that is 2 years old, and another 5 or 6 inch that could be as little as 1 year old so - I wouldn't know where to start besides googling the species to see what I can learn!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Sergic

Sergic Arachnosquire Active Member

My G. pulchra is slightly smaller than yours, and I have had it for nearly two years. No idea how old it was when I got it.

Like others have said, there are too many variables in growth rate to give a reasonable estimate, though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnobaron Active Member

Montreal
    Very slow growing species, I would wager 2 years at the minimum. I keep my sling at 80 and it's fed regularly, still growing slowly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. I'd Hazard at two, possibly three years old. But those food and temperature variables are big ones

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1