Guards, Coconut and Other Hides?

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There's a market I can get these really cool-looking horned melons and I was wondering if anyone has used a dried guard or melon to create a hide? Just wondering how you would treat something like that so it wouldn't get all mushy.

I have other ways of making hides but it's like ever since I got into little critters I always look at things like, "that would probably make a really cool cage/hide!" :giggle:

Msh

Arachnosquire
I usually use pretty standard hides in my enclosures cork bark, half logs, the occasional coconut hide but like you I'm always looking at everyday things for any tarantula/invert related potential. That said a dried gourd sounds like it would be an awesome tarantula hide. It's natural material so it has that aesthetic and would be easy to make entrances / exits for the T. I don't know how properly preserve them or anything. I guess I would start by cutting a hole in it or just right in half to make 2 hides and clean out as much of the inside material as possible then just leave them in a sunny place to dry

Anderson

Arachnopeon
Dry em out in a ventilated dry (duh) place and then I would microwave it quick before you put it in the enclosure to make sure it's sterile-ish. Great idea! Options abound.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There's a market I can get these really cool-looking horned melons and I was wondering if anyone has used a dried guard or melon to create a hide? Just wondering how you would treat something like that so it wouldn't get all mushy.

I have other ways of making hides but it's like ever since I got into little critters I always look at things like, "that would probably make a really cool cage/hide!" :giggle:
Dried out they should be okay. Just don't try keeping them in a humid cage or let them get wet. They'll mold faster than you can run for the door!

Enjoy your little 8-legged melon-head!