Growing moss in tarantula enclosures

Spiderguy47

Arachnoknight
I want to try to grow moss in my tarantula enclosures as a way to maintain humidity and give it a natural grassy look. What kind of moss do I need and where can I get some?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
What species are you trying this with?

I just use moss from outside. Cage needs to be damp.

Sana

Arachnoprince
If it's the GBB don't. That is one species that doesn't need that type of humidity.

Spiderguy47

Arachnoknight
I plan on using it for my G Pulchripes and possibly other tarantulas depending on their humidity requirements and how well it looks.

Sana

Arachnoprince
I honestly wouldn't recommend a humid enough environment to grow moss for a G. pulchripes. My big tropicals (pampho, phormic, nhandu, etc.) are much more likely to thrive with that level of humidity.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I plan on using it for my G Pulchripes and possibly other tarantulas depending on their humidity requirements and how well it looks.
G. pulchripes likes it mostly dry so I'd rule that one out,

As @Sana stated I'd only try this with Pamphobeteus, Nhandu, Phormictopus, Theraphosa and other species that do well in moist environments.

You're also, more than likely, going to need UV lighting in order for the moss to grow successfully which spiders hate.

Last edited:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I successfully grew moss in my T. stirmi's enclosure. Very easy, I didn't need a lamp or anything. I first grew it by the window to let it get established, then I transferred it into the enclosure. It stopped growing from the lack of light, but it certainly continued to live.

But don't do it. Flies love the stuff, both to breed on and feed upon. So unless you want a fly infestation, just try a hardy low-light plant instead. On top of that, it actually dried out my enclosure faster. It does nothing to hold onto moisture. I believe that the incredible surface area actually causes a wicking effect from the soil and makes all the water evaporate.

TL;DR
0/10, would not grow again