Grow a Frog!

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
I've seen something similar here, except it came with two frogs. It was sold as a "complete ecosystem".

Included was:

"live rock" (colored aquarium gravel)
"aquatic plant" (lucky bamboo)
A snail
Two African dwarf frogs
Frog pellets.

Instructions were to feed the frogs once a week on one or two pellets each. It said that the snail would eat algae and produce waste with the frogs which the plant and gravel bacteria would use to grow and filter the water, so you only have to change the water like twice a year or something. It was all bull crap of course. The whole thing was about the size of the smallest Kritter keeper. The ones with just one frog even smaller. It was pretty much designed to slow the death of the frogs as much as possible to give the illusion that the ecosystem is actually working.

I mean, lucky bamboo as an aquatic plant. Really??

It's almost as stupid as the whole Betta vase thing.

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How are they able to sell them so carelessly when there are laws that come along with these frogs?

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Because people are stupid. That's why. I'm not even going to go too indepth. But take a tour through atleast 4nearby petstores in your area and tell me my statement is not right. I worked in one. I actually had one idiot come in asking me if they could put a baby res in a 2.5g with a light and half water and a filter. I had to get someone else to answer her question cause it made me want to punch her in the face. :l That's like not even ignorance. that's just sheer stupidity. Then when I got the whole "they only grow to the size of the tank". I ended up quitting the place. The people who worked there were knowledgable to an extent. But. The customers were just begging to be scammed.

---

So the real question is--- why aren't more people getting scammed with stupid crap like oh hey this goldfish can stay in abowl forever and whenever you feed it, it will produce golden nuggets of waste. Not only that, every time it gulps a butterfly farts a rainbow somewhere.

Or how about insta-clone? A kit that comes with a mirror. There look in it-- now you're cloned- voila.

Or how about miracle water? It's magic water that keeps you young for ever when it's really tap water?

Dude. In all honesty. People deserve to get scammed. I feel bad for the animals. But people are just too cheap. My question is--- if you don't want to pay a lot of money on a pet. Why not just DON'T get one at all? or why not go to your garden and get a cricket? or hell if you wanna go fancy-- why don't you just go get a slug?

BQC123

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was surprised at the last few herp shows I went to that they had "turtle bowls". They came complete with the plastc palm tree! For those too young to remember, that is what they sold years ago to keep all the baby turtles they were selling. I didn't notice the old "turtle food" that was just dried ant pupae, if I am not mistaken.
Unfortunately this crap will continue, and is not going away any time soon. All we can hope to do is educate people so they do not buy this stuff.

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Most people you try to educate don't like to be educated. They just want to be reassured that the cheapest method is the best method to go. Thus leaving them open for scams and then they get animals that die easily and give disease or get aggressive due to proper care not given. Then that's when you see pet laws rising. when in reality it's the stupid owners fault. >:C I'm in a cranky mood today. Because I had to deal with this first hand this morning. I had to go to the petstore to get crickets. Another owner saw me buying like 7doz. of crickets. Then ask me what I have. Then I tell them. Then ask me really stupid questions. then me telling them the truth. Then them getting defensive and stuff. :l

Smaughunter

Arachnopeon
I have heard they send Suriname Clawed Frogs to states with restrictions on African Clawed frogs.

smoothie4l

Arachnopeon
I have seem these, there at Green earth right? They make it seem so turstworthy and harmless but the reality is that this could leave to animal abouse if you give it time to grow...