1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grouchy pink toe

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Cherri, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Cherri

Cherri Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    I recently purchased an a. metallica juvenile. I let her settle into her new enclosure before feeding her. I feed my Ts 3 times a week. All the slings i ordered with her ate except for my g hamorri juvenile. The pink toe ate two crickets yesterday, she immediately snatched then from the tongs. This morning i went to handle her (yeah, i know I'll get flack for it. If i get bit then i get bit) and she went to tag me. So i thought she might still be hungry and, again, immediately snatched the cricket from the tongs. I've never had an agressive or even flighty pink toe. I'm assuming she'll warm up after a few more molts, but I'm still pretty baffled. my p.irminia was less cranky.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    • Dislike Dislike x 7
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. boina

boina Lady of the mites Arachnosupporter

Germany
    Nobody cares if you get bit. Handling is a a good way to get your spider killed, though, and most people on a spider forum care about spiders...

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Love Love x 1
    • Award Award x 1
  3. Cherri

Cherri Arachnopeon

Not saying that. But ive never had a problem and everyone i know in the hobby offline handles the Ts that they can... or shouldn't. Rabbits don't particularly like being picked up either and injury to the animal and person can result.

• Dislike x 3
    • Face Palm x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Clarification Please x 1
  4. Theneil

Theneil Arachnoangel Active Member

USA
    Every spider can have its own personality. Could be grouchy, or hungry, or maybe it just doesn't like being touched. Impossible to know why one might be more tolerant than another.

PS. You deliberately mentioned handling your Ts and do to that, you can probably expect this thread to rapidly derail to why not to handle, quite likely with little to no comment on the 'grouchy' behavior that the thread was started for. Just a heads up.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Teal

Teal Arachnoking Active Member

I fail to see "grouchy" behaviour here... you mucked with a wild animal and it was ready to defend itself. That is totally normal. Don't stress out your spider and cause it to feel defensive.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 2
    • Award Award x 1
  6. Cherri

Cherri Arachnopeon

True, my g. Rosea never fasted until the very end of his life. And i my p. Irminia never "teleported" when i was feeding her or opened her enclosure and my stolen b hamorii used to attack water when it was being poured into her dish without fail (i still hope i can find the cutie and, no i never tried to handle her). Even my friend stupidly handles his mm p. Irminia and it's never tried to tag him.

I just want to make sure I'm not overfeeding her in an attempt to satisfy her. I'm chalking it up to her being a teenager so far.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Lollipop Lollipop x 1
  7. Teal

Abdomen size is how you judge that. But really, you can't "overfeed" a spider. They either are hungry and will eat, or they won't... but if you feed often, they'll get full quicker and then may have a longer fasting period before a molt.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Cherri

Cherri Arachnopeon

I didn't think you could. But then i saw threads about it on here before posting my own and got worried.

9. tkid02

tkid02 Arachnosquire Active Member

Rabbits have and can be domesticated. These are bugs. There is no domesticating.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoemperor Active Member

You are anthropomorphizing. Alot.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnotank Arachnosupporter

Technically not true.

While they won't eat until they explode like Mr Creosote they can get so fat that they can suffer drag injuries and damage to the book lungs.

Doubt it.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  12. Tenebrarius

Tenebrarius Arachnobaron Active Member

peon: so I handled my T
    arachnomember: REEEEEEEEEEE
    yeah dont handle your Ts plain and simple I never got the point in handling if you want to touch something get a dog. Ts dont get handled in the wild and I like to replicate a nice natural environment of coconut grounds, perfectly cut bark, and little ninjas glued to wood(dont judge my ninja addiction);). list of things I dont touch: Ts, lions, gatorades left on the sidewalk, fidget spinners, and butterflies(not cause they re delicate but because they are scary no lie). but to answer the main question about you grumpy animal, it'd probably rather eat your finger than be held.

"oh yeah also you cant swear on here please try not to" - cpt america

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  13. Teal

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: This made my night!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. tkid02

lmao why fidget spinners

• Like Like x 1
  15. Cherri

Cherri Arachnopeon

There's rabbit enthusiasts like you are about spiders who will preach it's torture to hold rabbits. Rabbits can and will jump out of your arms, bite, break bones, etc. Does it mean they will? Rodents all have personalities but they're not dogs (well, except for rats) .
    Yikes, this is the most embarrassing thing i had to read all day. I pick up wild Ts. I have since i was a kid. Just like wild snakes, true spiders, lizards, and every other arthropod i could get my hands on. I don't handle my ts like they're my rats. It's a one-in-a-while thing. I have a dog. She's a real qt.
    Thanks for the actual information and not just you being cocky. Even if it wasn't directed at me. I read A LOT of mixed info on here.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. tkid02

You’re comparing arachnids to rodents...I don’t care what you do with your spiders lol. I was saying that these animals won’t “warm up to you”.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Dennis Nedry

Dennis Nedry Arachnobaron Active Member

I won’t tell you not to handle or the risks because that’s been said enough and you probably wouldn’t care about my opinion on the subject, but I will tell you that if you’re gonna handle do it over a soft surface and do it low to the ground, also just don’t do it with this particular T because from what I’m reading it sounds like a sure fire way to get bitten. This genus in particular has a bad habit of taking swan dives to the floor with 0 regard of how high it may be

• Like Like x 1
  18. Torech Ungol

Torech Ungol Arachnosquire Active Member

She's very clearly just reaching out to give you a hug. Seems pretty warm to me.
    (I'd do a troll emote here, but my phone won't let me. Guess it's trolling me?)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Mini8leggedfreak

Mini8leggedfreak Arachnosquire Active Member

I had this happen with a sling I was feeding......it was amazing! The thing launched out of the enclosure then did a seemingly suicidal dive, but then floated down to safety like a butterfly. It seriously was like those people that dive with the like flying squirrel outfits.

Anyways to what I was gonna say. I would handle some T’s If they were like coming out and calm. I wouldn’t just pick one and be like you’re being picked up today but I do understand wanting to experience that. I got into this bc of a fascination mixed with fear. Having some crawl on me has really deminished that fear, so I wouldn’t be so quick to go at someone that has handled or will handle.

20. Tenebrarius

Tenebrarius Arachnobaron Active Member

A T has a lot of surface area