greenbottle blue tarantula made a mountain of peat in the corner?

Archie the Arachnid

Arachnopeon
help! I got my first tarantula, a greenbottle blue, and when I woke up this morning it had created a mountain of its peat in the corner of its enclosure and has been sitting on top of it the whole time.. I know it isn't dead or anything, but why is it doing this??

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
just tarantula behaviour. They will adapt to their surroundings wether as they are or by burrowing etc.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
T's love to redecorate their homes, regardless of how long you spent getting it to look juuuust right. It's only the nature of our 8-legged charges to get a little creative!

Another note - not sure how much peat moss you're using, but a word of caution that it causes a bump in humidity, and GBBs are dry-loving species, so if you're using it to try and raise/retain humidity you may wanna remove it! :)

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Your tarantula is tarantuling :troll:

They often go "screw your nice enclosure setup" and then rip up decorations or excavate or bury things, it's normal.

Archie the Arachnid

Arachnopeon
T's love to redecorate their homes, regardless of how long you spent getting it to look juuuust right. It's only the nature of our 8-legged charges to get a little creative!

Another note - not sure how much peat moss you're using, but a word of caution that it causes a bump in humidity, and GBBs are dry-loving species, so if you're using it to try and raise/retain humidity you may wanna remove it! :)
Oh okay, awesome. thanks!

and I'm not using much at all, I'm trusting my brother who gave me the GBB to tell me when I have to change anything! thanks

Archie the Arachnid

Arachnopeon
ooookie dokie. now it started moving, very quickly, and stretched out with its front legs on the lid. I know they like to climb but is that maybe why it "built" the mountain?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
help! I got my first tarantula, a greenbottle blue, and when I woke up this morning it had created a mountain of its peat in the corner of its enclosure and has been sitting on top of it the whole time.. I know it isn't dead or anything, but why is it doing this??
Post a picture of the setup .

Archie the Arachnid

Arachnopeon
Archie (the GBB) has now moved off the mountain to the other corner and positioned itself to stand vertically, touching the lid. I tried to get a picture but it's night time so the lighting is poor... and it moved after a few minutes, not back to the mountain though

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I meant of the whole set up, so that anything that is amiss can be critiqued and corrected.

Regarding your original post, they move substrate around all the time. That is nothing to be concerned about.

Archie the Arachnid

Arachnopeon
I meant of the whole set up, so that anything that is amiss can be critiqued and corrected.

Regarding your original post, they move substrate around all the time. That is nothing to be concerned about.
Oh! sorry. I'll take a full picture in daylight tomorrow. I've only had it for 4 days so I have a pretty basic set up I'll show you tomorrow, but I think I'll be creating one like the youtuber The Dark Den made from a ferrero rocher box. any thoughts or suggestions on that?

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
I think I'll be creating one like the youtuber The Dark Den made from a ferrero rocher box. any thoughts or suggestions on that
Very cool Youtuber, he actually lurks these forums and makes an appearance every once in a while :)

The Ferrero rocher box was really cool and could definitely work for a little while, though GBBs grow fast and it wouldn't surprise me if it outgrew the box pretty quickly. IIRC he did his setup vertical for an arboreal sling - just keep in mind if/when making it that GBBs are (more or less) terrestrial and you're gonna want to alter it horizontally so your little fella has more ground space. They're such an active species, mine has his entire deli cup webbed to high heaven.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Very cool Youtuber, he actually lurks these forums and makes an appearance every once in a while :)

The Ferrero rocher box was really cool and could definitely work for a little while, though GBBs grow fast and it wouldn't surprise me if it outgrew the box pretty quickly. IIRC he did his setup vertical for an arboreal sling - just keep in mind if/when making it that GBBs are (more or less) terrestrial and you're gonna want to alter it horizontally so your little fella has more ground space. They're such an active species, mine has his entire deli cup webbed to high heaven.
How big is your spider? Unless it is a sling you should be keeping it on the dry side similar to this but with more anchor points for webbing than what I have for these ones that don't web as much.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
How big is your spider? Unless it is a sling you should be keeping it on the dry side similar to this but with more anchor points for webbing than what I have for these ones that don't web as much.
I think you replied to the wrong person :rofl: But mine's about 1" and kept dry with a small cap for a water source, and has a plant root for anchor points that's been webbed up to high heaven and back.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Why do you need help? What behavioral expectations did you have of your GBB?

Archie the Arachnid

Arachnopeon

Oh that's awesome!!!

okay thank you for the advice! I wasnt entirely sure about which way to position it, so thank you for letting me know :) yeah in the current enclosure, it has webbed almost the entire thing! XD