Green Tree Python Update

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well, I've been getting killed with work, so I'm enjoying the next few days off. Here is the latest picture of my little Aru type green tree python. She's developing a nice, if somewhat broken, dorsal stripe. I can hardly wait to see what she looks like as an adult. By the way, I don't know what sex she is, I'm just hoping it is a she.

Attachments

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Here is a picture of the cage I built for her. I burned the midnight oil to make this cage. I loved every minute of it too. Building this cage was such a satisfying feat. I have stumbled into my new hobby, woodworking. I'm already beginning my next cage. It is such a great way to burn off some steam and relax.

Attachments

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
And another picture from the front. Yes that is a disco ball in the middle. A nocturnal snake has its needs.

Attachments

BigSam

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
man that cage is bad, i need some like that for my boa.

Sam,

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Sam,

I was a bit intimidated when I began the cage, but I really like the way it turned out. I spent a lot of time on it and was very careful about everything since it was my first cage and all. I want to build another three cages to stack on top of this one and then build several that are wider than this one.
If you have a family member that has the tools you should try to build a cage yourself. It doesn't have to be anything super fancy. I used birch plywood with an oak face, but pine plywood with a nice pine face would work fantastic. If you know what size of cage you want then Home Depot can even cut the wood for you. Melamine even works good. The possibilities are seemingly endless. I'm already eyeing the tool and woodworking supply catalogues for more crap I don't need and have to have.

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by GQ.
Sam,

I was a bit intimidated when I began the cage, but I really like the way it turned out. I spent a lot of time on it and was very careful about everything since it was my first cage and all. I want to build another three cages to stack on top of this one and then build several that are wider than this one.
If you have a family member that has the tools you should try to build a cage yourself. It doesn't have to be anything super fancy. I used birch plywood with an oak face, but pine plywood with a nice pine face would work fantastic. If you know what size of cage you want then Home Depot can even cut the wood for you. Melamine even works good. The possibilities are seemingly endless. I'm already eyeing the tool and woodworking supply catalogues for more crap I don't need and have to have.
beware the woodworking and power tool addiction!
I purposely sold all my mismatched corded power tools at a garage sale so I could tell my wife truthfully that I had no power tools left and that I needed to take a quick trip to Home Depot.........I still have at least one 18v DeWalt tool that I have not used yet.
BTW, very nice job on the enclosure! how did you join the pieces together? biscuits? dowels? rabbiting?
Ed

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Atavuss,
Actually I joined the sides by using bugle headed drywall screws. I used the strips of oak to cover the screw heads. I know I'm an amateur, but it worked out okay. I did rabbit the rear of the panels in order to make the rear panel flush with the rear of the panels. I don't have all that many woodworking tools yet which is why I screwed the sides together. And yes, the tool addiction is very very bad! I'll be picking up a biscuit joiner and maybe a dado blade for my next cage. I built this cage using only a good tablesaw, a jigsaw for the vent holes, and a sander.

fatbloke

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
nice looking python
wish i could build tanks that looked that nice

john

Hamadryad

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Man, Chondros are the stuff!!!!

I admit that I positively lust for a Green Tree Python...I would love to have one of these but as far as I have seen they are extremely costly...I saw a couple of good specimens for nearly $700.00 at Repto Mania...I am sorry to say that is way out of my price range.I would probably cost me about $1,500.00 to set myself up with a Chondro....maybe someday I might be able to do this but for now it is just me and my silly old Ball Pythons...:rolleyes:

The Evil Spider Hunter:p

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Very admirable work there. I love it when people make their own enclosures, since ive never been able to do it. It gives me good ideas of what I should try in the future

I also love how youve kept it simple. About what would you say it cost to build that cage, aside from the time?

Very fine work!!!! Have fun with your Chondro!

;)

biznacho

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That enclosure is better looking than alot of TV cabinets, and people look at those all the time. I wish my Tv cabinet was as pretty as that cage.

Glass or Plexi for the front? How did you get it in/to stay put?

biznacho

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Scorpio,

I probably spent about 110 or maybe even a bit less on it. The biggest cost was the birch plywood and the oak. I have excess on some items so I can use them on the next cage to cut the cost down. Things like sandpaper, finish, nails, and stain can all be used for several cages so I will not have to pay for them next time around. I'm planning on adding a heat panel and a Helix thermostat to it which will cost quite a bit. I could really cut the cost down if I used pine and MDF. I just like the look of the oak and birch.

Biznacho,

I used 1/8 inch double strength glass for the doors. The glass shop only charged me around 4 or 5 bucks for each door. I then placed some translucent door pulls on them. The doors are held in with plastic glass track. The doors can be removed by simply lifting them up and out.

Later,
GQ