Green Tree Frog Vivarium

mickiem

Arachnoprince
This one is better than the Fire Belly Toad House! I used a 29 gallon tank and sealed a piece of glass to make a water section. I used Great Stuff foam on the background and coated it with silicone when it was cured. I covered the whole thing with peat and coco fiber. There are several pieces of cork bark embedded in the foam. I siliconed rocks to the rim of the glass to help the frogs get in and out of the water. The plants I used are hypnum and dicranum moss, lemon button fern, dwarf mondo grass, dieffenbachia, syngonium. I found a dracena(Lucky Bamboo) at IKEA. It is at least 3/4” in diameter. I’m going to get a few more and juxtapose them to make monkey bars. I love the look of that straight heavy cane. BB8BC209-C631-4435-B36D-493C812AFA74.jpeg EA20E90E-6FAB-461E-9D21-DEC77440A613.jpeg 50066418-4043-468F-8E11-2722C57B726B.jpeg 6F922447-E9AF-4188-BB5E-A19675093ABA.jpeg 28B769AD-9DA7-4A7B-9047-A260BC40ACC5.jpeg

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I love those mosses, and am interested to see the ‘monkey bar’ effect. Gotta love that lemon button fern as well...lovely, small, and very prolific!

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Silly frogs just sit on top of the
Dracena. I was hoping for acrobats. They spend more time on the glass. But they're fun. More to come! :happy:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Cool, I just found a male and a female last week in my hood. It was at night, I had a headlamp on seining for stuff in little pond. The Green and Gray are my fav native tree frogs. Well there aren't many others around here anyway. Do they make noise in there? When I was a kid, 9-10, I heard them for the first time next to a creek, I thought ducks were making the noise. So snuck up on them, "where are they?!" Then I saw the bright green frogs next to the water in the creek, man I was a fired up little kid when I found those. I had no idea big tree frogs were in that town.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Cool, I just found a male and a female last week in my hood. It was at night, I had a headlamp on seining for stuff in little pond. The Green and Gray are my fav native tree frogs. Well there aren't many others around here anyway. Do they make noise in there? When I was a kid, 9-10, I heard them for the first time next to a creek, I thought ducks were making the noise. So snuck up on them, "where are they?!" Then I saw the bright green frogs next to the water in the creek, man I was a fired up little kid when I found those. I had no idea big tree frogs were in that town.
They are very noisy! They call to a female and that's not too bad, but when the males bark back and forth it can be deafening! I bought these at a reptile show. We have spring peepers here but they are very small. There are larger tree frogs here but I never find them.

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Silly frogs just sit on top of the
Dracena. I was hoping for acrobats. They spend more time on the glass. But they're fun. More to come! :happy:
I used to keep green tree frogs years ago, and they were pretty sedentary during the day, except st feeding time. At night, however, it was a different story....they were all over the enclosure. Have you seen the same thing?

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I used to keep green tree frogs years ago, and they were pretty sedentary during the day, except st feeding time. At night, however, it was a different story....they were all over the enclosure. Have you seen the same thing?
Yes, pretty much. When I feed them, they act like they have been starved and they annihilate the tank. They jump all over - I don't know they expect me to keep their tank beautiful if they keep messing it up. :rolleyes:

I started feeding them everyday thinking they would calm down, but they are just fat and feisty now. :banghead: I have so many in the tank, its a feeding frenzy, maybe I should thin the herd . . . :arghh:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They are very noisy! They call to a female and that's not too bad, but when the males bark back and forth it can be deafening! I bought these at a reptile show. We have spring peepers here but they are very small. There are larger tree frogs here but I never find them.
There is a pond across the street from me, the noise will drive you nuts in the spring. I used to see them in pet stores but it became illegal here in tx to sell native animals in pet stores so I haven't seen them for sale in years here. Do you have any females? Since the males make the noise, they are easy to find so I suspect sellers are dealing mostly with males if they are wild caught.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
There is a pond across the street from me, the noise will drive you nuts in the spring. I used to see them in pet stores but it became illegal here in tx to sell native animals in pet stores so I haven't seen them for sale in years here. Do you have any females? Since the males make the noise, they are easy to find so I suspect sellers are dealing mostly with males if they are wild caught.
I do have males and females. I never thought about males being collected more often than females. I bought mine in a pet store and out of 14, I have 8 males and 6 females. Good mix!

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Very nice but I have a suggestion to all those considering dividing a land and water section. Even with filtration water sections can get pretty dirty. You may want to consider a large water dish rather than a permanent structure. If you are dealing with tree frogs that don't spend a lot of time in the water it makes it much easier to clean the water section. If you are creative with the silicone and rocks and you can easily hide the dish and make it more natural. When I made my FB toad enclosures I did sort of the opposite. I made primarily a water enclosure so I had more water volume and place a submersible filter in it then I made a removable island structure or the land part. You can still do your background with the great stuff and all the assorted additions but it is very easy to clean simply by removing the island.

This is not s criticism by any means. Your tanks are very nice looking.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Very nice but I have a suggestion to all those considering dividing a land and water section. Even with filtration water sections can get pretty dirty. You may want to consider a large water dish rather than a permanent structure. If you are dealing with tree frogs that don't spend a lot of time in the water it makes it much easier to clean the water section. If you are creative with the silicone and rocks and you can easily hide the dish and make it more natural. When I made my FB toad enclosures I did sort of the opposite. I made primarily a water enclosure so I had more water volume and place a submersible filter in it then I made a removable island structure or the land part. You can still do your background with the great stuff and all the assorted additions but it is very easy to clean simply by removing the island.

This is not s criticism by any means. Your tanks are very nice looking.
Thanks, I don't take it as a criticism at all! No worries. How did you make your island? I have some V. mossy frogs that I need to rehouse and I was thinking of doing just what you said, I just don't know exactly what I want. Is you FB toad land area planted? I have filters in these two tanks and the water is pretty clear. I used cycled water from an aquarium. I want to add some kind of scavenger/ bottom feeder. But I don't want the frogs getting choked on catfish barbs. :eek:

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks, I don't take it as a criticism at all! No worries. How did you make your island? I have some V. mossy frogs that I need to rehouse and I was thinking of doing just what you said, I just don't know exactly what I want. Is you FB toad land area planted? I have filters in these two tanks and the water is pretty clear. I used cycled water from an aquarium. I want to add some kind of scavenger/ bottom feeder. But I don't want the frogs getting choked on catfish barbs. :eek:
I couldn't tell from the picture if you had a filter or not and I couldn't recall the fire belly setup. If its big enough for a filter then you should have no problems. My suggestion was more for anyone not planning on using one.

I had mossy frogs as well for a while. I got them when they were relatively new and someone sold me 20 decent size froglets for 400.00 (never find that deal now) The terrarium was a 33 gallon long and I just used two low plastic pans that were just a tiny bit taller l than the water level I wanted. I filled it about 3/4 full of aquarium gravel in a filter bag and put long fiber sphagnum moss over the rest. It wasn't a display tank so I didn't bother trying to hide the plastic container but if I were doing a display I'd probably use silicone and rocks or something to make it look nicer. Then I just put a good sized submersible filter on one end. I didn't bother hiding that either but again if it was a display I'd probably hide it as well. Maybe under one of the islands. My FB setup was similar but in a 20 long. I never planted any of my tanks, I just went with silk or plastic but I have always wanted to do one. I don't have the fire belly toads or the mossy's any more. When I closed my store I didn't have room in my apartment for everything so they had to go.