Green Cheek Conure

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Hi all,

So, there is a green cheek conure currently residing with me. Long story about that I will make another thread about later on.

I am in an apartment though and I am worried that she may be too loud even tho many sources claim they are good for apartments.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
There is a breeder of Conure near us who has several green cheeks along with an assortment of others. Every now and then he packs them all up into boxes and cages and takes them up to the dam to frolic. Turns them loose and they have a great time circling about, chasing each other, landing on the bystanders and trying to con people out of treats and tidbits - or outright steal them. From observing them some can be raucously loud all the way out to never making a sound. Seems to be personality as much as a particular species/subspecies. And they do have STRONG personalities and personal preferences. Serious characters from landing on your shoulder to scream in your ear, pull your hair or get in your pockets to ignoring people and practicing gliding to sullen and taciturn and you name it.

My personal impressions are, these are very smart birds. They could be trained to be quiet if noisy, but you might also have one where it turns into a battle of wills where it will learn if it shrieks you will bribe it to shut up.

Last edited:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
There is a breeder of Conure near us who has several green cheeks along with an assortment of others. Every now and then he packs them all up into boxes and cages and takes them up to the dam to frolic. Turns them loose and they have a great time circling about, chasing each other, landing on the bystanders and trying to con people out of treats and tidbits - or outright steal them. From observing them some can be raucously loud all the way out to never making a sound. Seems to be personality as much as a particular species/subspecies. And they do have STRONG personalities and personal preferences. Serious characters from landing on your shoulder to scream in your ear, pull your hair or get in your pockets to ignoring people and practicing gliding to sullen and taciturn and you name it.

My personal impressions are, these are very smart birds. They could be trained to be quiet if noisy, but you might also have one where it turns into a battle of wills where it will learn if it shrieks you will bribe it to shut up.
I would avoid the bribe thing.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I'm not entirely sure this will be helpful but it's all I've got. I've got a Senegal parrot. I settled on 1 because of their size and the fact they're a "quiet" parrot.

Now granted Pandora isn't as loud as say a Cockatoo or African Grey but a canary she is not. I live in a terraced house and the neighbours have never complained directly to me. You've got to remember there are walls (all be it thin) in the way and your neighbours lives. TV on, talking, radio etcetera all drown out outside noise.

I'd just see how things go and see if you get any knocks on the door. Plus whilst your new tenant might not be as quiet as a church mouse loud outbursts might be few and far between.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
@darkness975 The breeder told me when isolated they tend to make raucous noises but in a group with others visible they only chatter and bicker. But they occasionally 'yell' at each other. They love, demand, lots of social contact, preferably with other conures. I guess they also like coconut smoothies.

Trying to drink from a straw

So of course someone else tries to steal the straw...
Note some of them on top of their boxes and cages. Some are insecure and their box reassures them.

Last edited: