Green Bottle Blue?

Boanerges

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Can anyone tell me a little about their Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens? I'm looking forward to getting one and would like some feedback from some owners. Thanks!!!

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Good eaters. Mine was always hungry. A little skitish, but not defensive. Usually out in the open. Filled any enclosure with thick webs, but didn't really make hiding places like my OBT does. Very cool spiders. I didn't try to handle mine, but I know some people do.

GootyGuy

Arachnopeon
I love mine, I keep mine at 75 degrees. Lots of webs and always hangin out so i can see it. Keep em dry but make sure to provide a water dish, they will use them. Be carefull if you try to hold it cause they can fly out of your hand super fast.

cabal

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a 1.5" sling and love it to death. Mines all ways out and webs all day long. I agree with Olan and GootyGuy. You can't go wrong with them. Beautiful T

clearlysaid

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Good eaters. Mine was always hungry. A little skitish, but not defensive. Usually out in the open. Filled any enclosure with thick webs, but didn't really make hiding places like my OBT does. Very cool spiders. I didn't try to handle mine, but I know some people do.
What Olan says.

Mine is always out in the open. The day she was in her new enclosure she webbed the entire thing up. It looks pretty cool... but it's still cool I can see her.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Mine is lightning-fast, incredibly skittish, and will zoom across the enclosure or kick hairs at the drop of a hat. This is the norm for the species. (Before any smartbutts show up: yes there are pictures of people handling GBBs like they were G. rosea. This is due to varying combinations of experienced handlers and freakishly docile spiders. You cannot buy a GBB and assume it will be even remotely like that.)

Mine mostly webs the floor/walls, and only adds more to that when building up to a molt in which case the whole enclosure becomes a mass of web. A few weeks after that, she tears the extra down again. I feed her whenever I remember to do so, pour SMALL amounts of water on a corner of the webbing sometimes (they will quickly make any water dish useless/buried forever due to webs), and she's been doing wonderfully for years.

Generally visible, always pretty. Tough as nails unless you keep them in a damp enclosure (dry dry dry unless watering that one corner once every week or two, and always after molts).

WyvernsLair

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I had one that could teleport it moved that fast. Never had problems with hair kicking though. If you put anything into the cage it was immediately attacked so I never bothered trying to handle it. Made a lot of cool webs all over the floor and tunnels around the perimeter of the cage going maybe 1/3 way up the sides. I never bothered with a water dish since any non-animate object put into the cage got webbed. I just flooded the one corner of the cage every 7-10 days.

and be careful with the lid of your cage... mine learned how to pop the snap down lid on his plastic tank and went awol for several days. Found him happily shacked up in an empty film box under the bed. Wasn't until later after he was found I got to thinking that there had been not a single awol cricket running around the room like there normally was (i.e. from escapes from the green snake cage). He sulked for a week when he found he couldn't get the lid to his cage popped open again since I added a duct-tape lock to it LOL.

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Mine is relatively calm, that doesn't mean you can handle it, what it means it won't kick hairs, and it won't run when I open the KK to feed it. Its always out and it has a voracious appetite. I keep it in on dry peat along with a water bowl and yes he does drink from it. I mist his web once a week. I have raised him from a sling and is a great show T.

You can't go wrong with a GBB

PIG-

DeTwan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So far this thread is very accurate for the demeanor of a GBB. Mine just molt about 3wks ago and is roughly 2yrs to 2.5 yrs old and 4.5in female. I hear they max out at 6", so mine still has a lot of growing. But I'm gonna try to breed her anyway, she is mature.

I handled mine quit a bit when it was younger but not as much any more. I did see the first threat display about 2wks ago after her molt. She was just a little grumpy after all that work.

Mine is rather docile and will readily walk out onto your hand with out freaking out and running off like some ppl claim. The only thing you have to get past on mine is the inscent hair kicking it will preform. I don't ever get itchy from it, but I don't mess w/ her when she starts kicking... I'm guessing it is itchy.
Her is a pic of her!

Last edited:

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mine is an evil, hair-kicking beast! Voracious feeder, very fast and very defensive. She's usually viewable and is one of my favorite T's.
Di

Boanerges

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
So do they need a hide spot or do they make their own with webbing?

clearlysaid

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mine has a hide which she only used one day... she covered up her corner w/ webbing that gives her, apparently, all the privacy she needs. I would recommend a hide, though, just so it has someplace to run if it feels threatened... less likely to kick hair at you then, in my opinion.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I love GBB's they are so beautiful!!!! I have 5 currently, 2 small slings, 2 medium size slings and one juvie male. I haven't ever been kicked at, but the male has threatened. They are are skittish, extremely fast webbers with huge appetites. I give all of mine hides and they do at least use them to moult. As long as the hide is big enough, mine have always gone into the hide and webbed themselves in as soon as they get far enough into premoult that they don't want to eat. They they moult in the hide, and don't come out again until they are dry and want food.

chandlermonster

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have two slings about to become juvies, and they are way too fast to be handled. They also attack anything that comes into their cage. They might be the best eaters out of any of my T's and have grown very fast.

I like em a lot!

Qvarnold

Arachnopeon
Fun tarantulas. Bought one as my first T when I started out in the hobby. As already been said, webs a great amount, always out in the open, good eater, not really defensive but rather skittish but it takes a lot from my side to get her to try and hair me.

WyvernsLair

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So do they need a hide spot or do they make their own with webbing?
You can try a hide. Mine just webbed his over and ignored it. He chose to make his own hide with the perimeter tunnel he built. There was one spot of the tunnel that was thick heavy webbing built behind a fake plant.. the rest of the tunnels were thin easy to see through webbing. He really didn't use the heavy hide except during molts.. usually was visible most of the time.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think you're probably better off just providing a couple of objects for them to anchor webs to than actual hides. A gnarled piece of wood sticking 2" out of the dirt will most likely be the beginnings of a tunnel or something that will be it's hide. That method worked well with H incei and P murinus which both have heavy webbing behavior similar to a GBB.

My GBB is only 1-1/2" so for me it's still theory but i think it makes sense.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'd go somewhere in between - give something that will serve as a hide and let them web it all up. Here's what I did with my girl (picture taken on the day I got her, you can't even SEE the wood surface anymore {D ).

Looking back, the only thing I wish I'd done differently is to dig out a couple inches more dirt from inside the little cave there. My other tarantulas will move substrate as needed, but this one just apparently decided her hide is now too small and won't do anything about it. :wall: I'm planning to give her a bigger enclosure soon anyway though, and will give her a bigger hiding space that she might actually use when I need to open the tank to throw in crickets/take out molts. She's so fast and twitchy that it unnerves me to have her out in the open when I'm doing that sort of thing...she used to run for cover every time.

Water spider

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My juvenile has never been particularly skittish, or kicked hair. I guess I have been lucky. I gave her a lot of plastic plants to web over. She has used them to make tunnels, it looks cool.