Gravid T behavior

Adam96

Arachnosquire
What kind of behaviour changes might I expect with a Gravid T

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
None for the most part. Although some individuals may become a little hostile.

If they are gravid best to leave them alone. The leave undisturbed as not to cause stress. It can cause problems in producing sac

Adam96

Arachnosquire
Okay I'm just wondering because I recently mated my b.albos around 2 months ago and now the female is acting more reclusive then normal

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Well that is part of the process. I thought you meant temperament wise. Yes they will usually excavate burrows and prepare to lay sac. Hiding away is part of the routine

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Well that is part of the process. I thought you meant temperament wise. Yes they will usually excavate burrows and prepare to lay sac. Hiding away is part of the routine
What does it mean or should I be concerned if a gravid T is wandering around her enclosure a lot? There is plenty of substrate for her to burrow in, just damp, and two hides for her selection, but she doesn’t seem to find anything suitable. :(

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The scariest part for me is when they start refusing food. Weird how some gravid ts will eat the whole way through gestation, while others start refusing after pairing

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
What does it mean or should I be concerned if a gravid T is wandering around her enclosure a lot? There is plenty of substrate for her to burrow in, just damp, and two hides for her selection, but she doesn’t seem to find anything suitable. :(
What species??

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
How long ago was paired? How wet is the sub. I would keep enclosure mainly dry
Early/mid-July

A second female that I paired with the same male a month later holed up weeks ago.

I normally keep them dry but since pairing I reduced ventilation and have been keeping the substrate just damp (NOT wet or so you could get water from it, only enough to darken the coir).

Both T’s ate a lot and grew rounder after pairing but this female seems to be waiting or searching for something... She is no longer interested in eating.

SkittleBunny

Arachnosquire
The scariest part for me is when they start refusing food. Weird how some gravid ts will eat the whole way through gestation, while others start refusing after pairing
My brachypelma albopilosum female ate non-stop all September and bred oct.23 and nov.7 and she's stopped eating altogether. It's only been 3 months since her last molt. Have you had this problem?

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
My brachypelma albopilosum female ate non-stop all September and bred oct.23 and nov.7 and she's stopped eating altogether. It's only been 3 months since her last molt. Have you had this problem?
Is that necessarily a problem? It seems to me that if the female already has plenty of energy stored, she will probably not eat as much during gestation. One of my female Aphonopelma chalcodes was a healthy size before mating and had shown no interest in food for several weeks. Afterward, she did eat again, but not for long. She is plenty round though.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I have two female Avicularia avicularia that have recently been paired.
The younger girl is eating like a machine and much more than normal. I am doubling up on her food and she hasn't refused yet. The older girl ate once after pairing and has refused food for the second week in a row. Both are nice and plump, so I would not be concerned under normal circumstances, but I am since they might be gravid. I was expecting them to eat more... not less. Both have recently moulted, so I am ruling out pre-moult.
I did a search and found this thread and it seems that it is normal behaviour in both cases. Am I correct in saying that?