1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gravid T behavior

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Adam96, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Adam96

Adam96 Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    What kind of behaviour changes might I expect with a Gravid T

2. KezyGLA

KezyGLA Arachnoking Active Member

None for the most part. Although some individuals may become a little hostile.

If they are gravid best to leave them alone. The leave undisturbed as not to cause stress. It can cause problems in producing sac

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Adam96

Adam96 Arachnopeon

Okay I'm just wondering because I recently mated my b.albos around 2 months ago and now the female is acting more reclusive then normal

• Like Like x 1
  4. Adam96

Adam96 Arachnopeon

and I'm very sure it's not pre molt

5. Adam96

Adam96 Arachnopeon

She was usually always in the open

6. KezyGLA

Well that is part of the process. I thought you meant temperament wise. Yes they will usually excavate burrows and prepare to lay sac. Hiding away is part of the routine

• Like Like x 1
  7. Adam96

Adam96 Arachnopeon

okay thanks alot

8. ErinM31

ErinM31 Arachnoangel Active Member

What does it mean or should I be concerned if a gravid T is wandering around her enclosure a lot? There is plenty of substrate for her to burrow in, just damp, and two hides for her selection, but she doesn’t seem to find anything suitable. :(

9. grayzone

grayzone Arachnoking

The scariest part for me is when they start refusing food. Weird how some gravid ts will eat the whole way through gestation, while others start refusing after pairing

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. KezyGLA

What species??

11. ErinM31

Aphonopelma chalcodes

12. KezyGLA

How long ago was paired? How wet is the sub. I would keep enclosure mainly dry

13. ErinM31

Early/mid-July

A second female that I paired with the same male a month later holed up weeks ago.

I normally keep them dry but since pairing I reduced ventilation and have been keeping the substrate just damp (NOT wet or so you could get water from it, only enough to darken the coir).

Both T’s ate a lot and grew rounder after pairing but this female seems to be waiting or searching for something... She is no longer interested in eating.

14. SkittleBunny

SkittleBunny Arachnopeon

TX
    My brachypelma albopilosum female ate non-stop all September and bred oct.23 and nov.7 and she's stopped eating altogether. It's only been 3 months since her last molt. Have you had this problem?

15. ErinM31

Is that necessarily a problem? It seems to me that if the female already has plenty of energy stored, she will probably not eat as much during gestation. One of my female Aphonopelma chalcodes was a healthy size before mating and had shown no interest in food for several weeks. Afterward, she did eat again, but not for long. She is plenty round though.

• Like Like x 1