1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gravid or Fat

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by Prophet, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Prophet

Prophet Arachnopeon Active Member

Advertisement
    These are two of my female emperor scorpions and I'm wondering from you veterans out there if its possible to tell if they are gravid or not. Much appreciated
    1.jpg 2.jpg

2. Ran

Ran Arachnoknight

CA
    I’m having a tough time seeing the first one but the second one looks to be P. dictator to me...lots of granulation all over its body....possibly gravid.

• Like Like x 1
  3. brandontmyers

brandontmyers Arachnoangel Old Timer

Doesn't look quite mature yet. The telson (sting) of Pandinus imperator and dictator are both red when fully mature. Looks like you may have one more molt to go.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Prophet

Thanks for the info. Is there any way to determine how old they are by looking at them? How many molts they've done and have left possibly? I have 5 females all around the same size and most of them have red stingers. I'd like to know how to correctly identify age if thats even possible

5. Ran

Ran Arachnoknight

CA
    Size is not always a good indicator of age. Like Brandontmyers said a red telson and chela size is more of an indicator. If you have them in a communal tank just make sure they are about the same size. They will breed on their own....move gravid females to an individual tank to make them less stressed.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Prophet

Interesting and thanks for the input. I'm trying to determine how to tell when they are gravid also b/c I have several separate enclosures for the purpose of keeping them separate. Guess I'll just keep checking in with you guys in the meantime. By the way, the 2nd picture of the female actually has a red telson. Would that mean she looks gravid or just healthy?

7. Ran

Ran Arachnoknight

CA
    Alot of WC adult females come in gravid as they live communally in the wild...my guess, gravid.

• Like Like x 1
  8. darkness975

darkness975 a Dream Within a Dream Arachnosupporter

Judging by the color of the Telson it does not appear to be mature yet, which would mean it is pre-molt and not gravid.

• Like Like x 1