Gravid C. Sculpturatus what to do

Spyder b

Arachnosquire
Just got 4 new Arizona bark scorpions while examining them I noticed one of them are gravid how do I take care of her while she is gravid? Do I keep her in the container I bought her in away from the other scorpions? What about when the babies go into second instar what then? Thanks for the help

InvertAddiction

Arachnoknight
House her in her own enclosure and offer food. If she shows now interest or stings it and leaves it be, then remove it. Once she has babies, don't feed her. The babies will remain on her back and make sure not to bother her. It can stress her out to the point she eats the brood. When the babies come off her back you can put them into individual containers and offer them either pinheads or prekilled prey, depending on the size of her brood. I've never had these set up communally and have heard they don't do well communal so I can't give you advice on that. Some people who don't have the room for a bunch of baby scorps just leave them all together and let them eat each other till they get a more manageable number. IF you do decide to house each scorpling individually, mist one side of the condiment container twice a week. The babies require a bit more humidity than the juveniles/adults.

Spyder b

Arachnosquire
House her in her own enclosure and offer food. If she shows now interest or stings it and leaves it be, then remove it. Once she has babies, don't feed her. The babies will remain on her back and make sure not to bother her. It can stress her out to the point she eats the brood. When the babies come off her back you can put them into individual containers and offer them either pinheads or prekilled prey, depending on the size of her brood. I've never had these set up communally and have heard they don't do well communal so I can't give you advice on that. Some people who don't have the room for a bunch of baby scorps just leave them all together and let them eat each other till they get a more manageable number. IF you do decide to house each scorpling individually, mist one side of the condiment container twice a week. The babies require a bit more humidity than the juveniles/adults.
How often should I feed the babies?

InvertAddiction

Arachnoknight
I feed them twice a week, depending on the size of prey. They will scavange, so if you don't have small enough prey, you can cut one up (I use two tongs, my long pair to hold the prey and my needle nose short pair to tear the food into sections). If any prey is left uneaten, remove it within 24 hours to prevent mold and mites.

InvertAddiction

Arachnoknight
It's fun for sure but can be overwhelming at the same time lol. I had 3 Heterometerous petersi females drop unexpected broods within a week of each other...now that was interesting haha. Bought them gravid from my local pet store and just thought they were eating good and getting ready to molt lol.

Spyder b

Arachnosquire
See my striped bark just gave birth but it was weird cause they weren't white they had the two stripes already but the legs and stinger didn't come off of them but was visible and she just started eating them any opinions about that cause I'm still lost? She had about 10 the first night 2 of them were like yellow eggs and then the next night had 7 and the same thing happen.

InvertAddiction

Arachnoknight
Could have just been a bad brood. Sometimes it happens and no one knows why. I'm not sure how true this is, but maybe @gromgrom can shed some light on this, but I've read that the older the female scorpion, the more likely she is to have stillbirths and bad broods.

Spyder b

Arachnosquire
Yeah I wouldn't know how old they are I caught them in San Antonio like 11 months ago.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
C. sculpturatus is usually quite communal as adults (or close to adults) but mixing sizes (or when they are younger) is a gamble. Best to keep the babies separated until they obtain some size.

Spyder b

Arachnosquire
Pobably stupid question but does breeding from the same brood effect the babies like insest basically

Spyder b

Arachnosquire
Yeah it's something to wonder like have two sets of claws or a double tails would be cool

Spyder b

Arachnosquire
That is so amazing it's ridiculous!!! I'd just be scared it would accidently sting itself

Spyder b

Arachnosquire
My first scorpion a buddy of mine dropped it and it literally put its stinger underneath the plates on its back and stung itself then died

InvertAddiction

Arachnoknight
Are you sure it didn't get injured from the fall? Even though they have their little armor, if they fall from a high surface (about chest high or maybe lower) on a hard surface, it can cause death.