Gravid Asian Forest Scorpion Questions

Varanamous

Arachnopeon
I recently obtained an Asian Forest Scorpion who appears to be Gravid & was hoping to confirm this.
As well as ask:
1) how long before the young scorpions are born?
2) can/should I feed her now before they are born & when they are born?
3) when they molt what size enclosure is suitable for the newborns?

Thank you in advance for any input!

Attachments

Braeden

Arachnopeon
I don’t know the answer to your first question, but I assume a quick google could help in that category. I do have some stuff about the others although. I have not personally had a gravid female, by a friend of mine successfully raised some baby scorps before. 2) yes, feed her as much as she want once they’re born. The babies will ride on her back but if your planning on keeping them you need to ensure she isn’t hungry because once they aren’t on her back anymore, they are no longer her babies to her and if she feels hungry she will munch on them. 3) her normal tank/terrarium is just fine until they are off her back, then they will need to be moved into a separate enclosure or, like stated before, she might eat them. So basically to sum up, feed her as much as she will eat once they’re born, otherwise leave her be until they are off her back then they need to be moved into a separate enclosure. I hope this helped some :)

InvertAddiction

Arachnoknight
I bought 3 females from a pet store and all 3 turned out to be gravid. I only had them for a couple weeks before I woke up to 3 broods the next day (pretty awesome surprise for me) I had just assumed they were fat and were getting ready to molt since they had no interest in food and stayed hidden (fortunately it was against the glass where I had their scientific names labeled so I could lift up the paper and get a full view) anywho, burrowing and refusing of food could be a sign as well as being quite fat. Personally I don't house them communally and my reason is as follows: a scorpion is communal until it is not. With that being said, after the babies left their mother's back they all got separated into individual condiment containers (so time consuming and makes feeding days such fun *insert heavy sarcasm* a brood size varies. I've had huge broods from the C. gracilis in my profile pic but my AFS were between 30-50 for each brood. If you do end up having babies, make sure to keep them a bit more humid then the adults and feed regularly (if housed together make sure to give plenty of hiding places and extra food because they will cannibalize easily). Best of luck for what can be an exciting experience :)