Grasshoppers?

sarah1031

Arachnopeon
Anyone keep grasshoppers? I found one and I picked him up, discovering he hand missing legs and it dissables him greatly from getting away from predators. I tried to let him go and... yea, it was kinda a sad sight to see.
So long story short, I'm keeping him and I need some sort of care sheet.. cause I haven't ever tried to keep a grasshopper before.

Thanx,
-Sarah

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well i dont why you would keep it unless u were going to feed it to a t???

8ball

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just keep all my grasshopper's in a 10 G tank with a heat lamp on one side when they wanna switch body temperatures and give them lettuce and wheat cereal and they do good, Haven't had any success breeding them yet though :(

sarah1031

Arachnopeon
Just cause Ts eat them doesnt mean no one likes them or that the don't deserve to live.

sarah1031

Arachnopeon
I just keep all my grasshopper's in a 10 G tank with a heat lamp on one side when they wanna switch body temperatures and give them lettuce and wheat cereal and they do good, Haven't had any success breeding them yet though :(
You think it would like a green bean?

Scythemantis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well i dont why you would keep it unless u were going to feed it to a t???
Uh...isn't that an ignorant thing to say? MANY of us keep all sorts of insects, and they are all just as interesting as spiders. I've kept grasshoppers as well, I think they're beautiful, and they're plenty more active and showy than some arachnids I've had.

Really, I find your post to be in extremely poor taste.

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Uh...isn't that an ignorant thing to say? MANY of us keep all sorts of insects, and they are all just as interesting as spiders. I've kept grasshoppers as well, I think they're beautiful, and they're plenty more active and showy than some arachnids I've had.

Really, I find your post to be in extremely poor taste.
easy mate then dont read it????pretty simple....many of us keep food type insects, usually in large numbers just wondering why someone would keep a lone one..kind of a waste of space imo........but thats what so great about the forums everyone has an opinion... i guess keeping low end t's would have that effect on you.....shouldnt of said that but really mate....every has their own thought on what is of value and what is not...to some a lone crix would be more enjoyable then a t...no one said this person was stupid just asking why would keep a lone specimen??? if not for breeding as for a future food item

Last edited:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This is a great example of how people judge each other based on their own world or, being biased, or self-righteous. I think all life is precious but things eat each other. Grasshoppers eat plants, tarantulas eat grasshoppers as do scorpions and centipedes. Scorpions eat centipedes. Centipedes eat scorpions. Centipedes eat tarantulas. Tarantulas eat centipedes. Vinegarones eat tarantulas...on and on. Enjoy your hobby but being intolerant and complaining about what other people value compared to you, when it comes to bugs, will get you nowhere. But if complaining is your hobby, ENJOY!:)

Steven.WK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
easy mate then dont read it????pretty simple....
Haha that's such a funny line. If he didn't read your message than how could he have been offended? It's like if a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it. Does it make a sound?

On the topic of grasshoppers. I think people keep lubber grasshoppers as pets since they are large and colorful.

sarah1031

Arachnopeon
It's doing good. It sits in my hand without jumping away but if anyone else comes near it freaks out and tries to leave... I had it eating some greenbean out of my hand earlier today.

Joanie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I kept tons of grasshoppers as a kid....my brother and I would name them all and get all attached to them and then in the autumn they would all die and we'd be heartbroken until spring when we had new ones. :rolleyes:

Anyway, we always fed them whatever we could pick outdoors--they are really not picky at all and will eat almost any type of plant. All the stuff others have listed sounds great, and any weeds or plants in your yard would probably work just fine too.

The only time I had success breeding was when I was keeping grasshoppers in a large (10 or 15 gallon, don't remember) planted terrarium with a screen lid. I kept the terrarium in a shady spot in my parents' yard. When the adults died off in the fall, I moved the terrarium into the garage, where it stayed cold but wasn't totally exposed to the winter weather. In the spring I moved the terrarium into the yard again, and in May I had tiny grasshoppers hatching in the tank. Captive bred grasshoppers! One of the proudest moments of my life, at least when I was a geeky teenager. :D

Scythemantis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
easy mate then dont read it????pretty simple....many of us keep food type insects, usually in large numbers just wondering why someone would keep a lone one..kind of a waste of space imo........but thats what so great about the forums everyone has an opinion... i guess keeping low end t's would have that effect on you.....shouldnt of said that but really mate....every has their own thought on what is of value and what is not...to some a lone crix would be more enjoyable then a t...no one said this person was stupid just asking why would keep a lone specimen??? if not for breeding as for a future food item
You know, you sound like you're trying to apologize/rationalize your previous post but instead you keep piling on the insults. Waste of space? Food type? Maybe you should pick your words better, because those kinds of statements just sound snobbish to most people.

What makes grasshoppers "food types?" The fact that they themselves are not predators? The fact that they're related to crickets? I don't know of anyone who uses them as anything's staple diet.

Hell, I knew of and owned giant cockroaches as pets a good decade before I even heard of people using them as feeders. It's not that old or that common a practice outside the more hardcore end of the hobby. Hissers especially are more popular as pets/display animals.

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Talk about geeks, I was known as "bugboy" throughout all my years of school, lol.

In Elementary school the kids would torment me by killing butterflys they captured on the playgroud.