Grass Spiders

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Hey all,

Well, just for the heck of it I decided a couple of weeks ago to keep a common Grass Spider I found in one of our garden buckets. Poor thing couldn't get out, and he'd already made himself at home by webbing the entire perimeter of the bottom of the bucket. :) He was VERY malnourished, and his abdomen wasn't any thicker than his head. I kicked around the yard for a few minutes and found a cricket that I dropped in there, and he jumped on it like stink on crap. :) My wife was fascinated... she doesn't care for creepy-crawlies of any type, but she kind of like looking at them if they're behind glass. :) She enjoyed watching it eat, and my sob story about it being malnourished won her over, and I kept it. :) I kept it in a pickle jar for a couple of weeks, and then moved to a mini critter-keeper type cage. It seems to eat well on the crickets I get at the local pet store.

My question is this... does anyone have experience with these spiders to offer more advice for me? This is the common variety with the brown and white longitudinal striping and black fangs that spins the "funnel webs" that you see in bushes, shrubs, and yards. I don't know what to expect as far as longevity, care reqs, or additional housings reqs. Right now his body length is on the generous side of 3/4" and total size is about 1-1/4 to 1-3/8 legspan.

Thanks all! I'll try to post a pic of him in the next couple of days. :)

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Grass Spiders (Agelenidae)

Grass spiders are very easy to keep. You can keep them in a medium-sized tupperware container at least 5" high with peat as a substrate. Add pieces of cork-bark and fake plants to allow the spider to construst a web. Feed the spider appropriately-sized crickets and mist the web around 3 times a week.

Alex S.

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Well, he's doing pretty well... eating a cricket every now and then...

Only problem, he won't build his funnel in the nice little cave I made for him! :) He insists on webbing all out in the open... ah well... maybe he'll get the hint after my opening the lid tears his web enough times...

Al Muoio

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
They are pretty fast runners. I keep mine in a pet pal with jungle mix and a few stones. They love the crickets. I have another with two missing legs. He gets aroung fine. I'm waiting to see if they will grow back with molt. I also have some larger Jumping spiders. They are a blast. Daytime hunters and eats crickets. Now only if I can find a Wolf spider!
Blessings, Al